Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What apps do i need?

planning a trip from va to yellowstone in sept,what apps do i need to get on my phone for our trip?
BROAD ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Site Team

RV Parky will help with locating stops, knowing distances and actually trip routing and note taking.

We use the Pilot/Flying J app (get .05 off with a Good Sam’s card) and they generally can accommodate the RV

We use Trucker Path, Allstays, Gas Buddy, I have a weather radio app and I use Waze on my phone to “assist” with navigation (but use the GPS as the primary)...
Old 08-13-2019, 04:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I like using the RV Parks and Review, along with Good Sam apps. That's in addition to the ones already spoken about. Gas Buddy app is also helpful when looking for fuel. Other than that a great co-pilot can be helpful
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

We just got back from Yellowstone. I spent 9.95 on Gypsy Guide for yellowstone and grand teton. It basically is a tour guide that uses GPS to note your location. It was well worth the 10.00 bucks I spent on it. There were several attractions we did not see because they did not allow RV's or trailers on the road to the attraction. (we have a 24' class c) In retrospect, my wife and I should have parked the RV and hitchhiked our way to the attraction, saw several youngsters doing that. https://gypsyguide.com/tour/yellowstone-national-park/
JoeSteiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Get the Weather Channel app and allow it to know your current location. That can help you avoid bad weather or at least let you know its coming.

If you're a member of the Good Sam Club, get their app as well as the app for the Pilot/Flying J fuel stations and let them have your current location too. That will help you find their affiliated campgrounds and fuel station locations as well as maps showing your location and theirs. That helps you determine the nearest one, prices, time to arrival, etc. Also helps you get the Good Sam discount at Pilot/Flying j stations!
Old 08-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
2012 Itasca Suncruiser

When you get to Yellowstone download the app "NPS Yellowstone". Lots of good and current info on the park. Also has a GPS feature that id's your location and gives info about your immediate surroundings.
Azcal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
WinnieAdven38

Allstays and Google Maps. Google Maps works best when viewed on a computer screen as the small phone screen does not begin to show a large enough area to be traveled. It is also great for having Satellite and Street views which are really useful, especially for entering/exiting parking lots and campgrounds. But Google Maps on your phone will give GPS directions, which can be useful but you need to plan out your route before traveling - not during. Have found that GPS directions can be very mis-leading.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
2010 Itasca Ellipse

Recommend RV GPS

I don't recommend "navigating" a cross country trip on a cellphone app. Unless you are using a tool (app or otherwise) that is specifically designed to help navigate an RV, you could get yourself in trouble.

I can't swear that it is the "end-all, be-all" but I have been impressed with the Garmin RV 770 LMT-S GPS (on sale from Garmin right now at $299...and no, I don't work for or sell them...just happened to see that when I was preparing to write this.) To be fair, most other RV GPS systems have the same features, but when you first set up the RV 770 it asks for the height, width, length and weight of your vehicle. I never really thought that was particularly important until I encountered the following situation.

I recently planned out a route using Bing Maps and Google Maps. I like to use them because in addition to being pretty good route planners you can use the satellite view to actually "look" at the roads to see what you will be driving on. (They can also be handy to find campgrounds near your planned stopping points....and satellite views may be helpful for preliminary camp site selection if you will be staying at a campground you haven't previously visited.)

After I had my route planned out "perfectly" I loaded in the necessary waypoints in my GPS but no matter how many intermediate waypoints I added to try to force it to follow the route I wanted, it wouldn't go that way. I was really upset with the "stupid" GPS. Then I went to the streetside view in Google and "traveled" down the road that my GPS wouldn't take me on...sure enough, even though it was a nice road, I came to a bridge with a weight rating that was not rated high enough for the weight of my RV!

After I apologized to my GPS and thanked it for not letting me go the way I thought was best, I easily found another way around that section of the route. It gave me a much deeper sense of trust in the Garmin 770 RV.

Bottom Line:
1) If you're not using a device that is specifically designed to account for the unique size and weight of your RV, you could end up in trouble.
2) If you use a GPS, make sure it is one that is designed for RV use.
3) Use whatever planning tools you like, but if your RV GPS doesn't like your route, pay attention...it may be smarter than you think.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

RV Parky app rates places you can stay, including boondocking sites.

RV trip wizard website for trip planning.

Or if you don’t want to pay for RV trip wizard, furkot is ok.
Techieluv is offline   Reply With Quote