Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

I have never understood how a campground owner could pass up an opportunity for additional income and/or customer goodwill and not install a wash bay near the dump station. Even a nominal $5 charge would generate a significant income stream, water is not gasoline, it's cheap for the most part.
Seems a little short-sighted to me. But hey, what do I know?!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:18 PM   #22

Just got done washing mine here at home. Power washer and a Bakers scaffolding and leaf blower.. Froze my cookies off. Ice on top. Going to put her to sleep for the winter.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:01 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

As we travel I ask at the park office and sometimes they allow it. Other times I do a sponge bath with a bucket of water.

Chuck1935 said:
"Wash it just before you leave. All issues solved !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I've been rained on more than once within an hour of leaving home. Just enough rain to dirty up the coach.
I think I could take care of the drought in Texas.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to everyone who took time to respond. I have received some great suggestions on how to handle washing the Motorhome on our next travels. Some very innovative solutions.
Retiredrvbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #25
Winnebago Master

One more response. I'm in Texas also and we are still under water restrictions. Now get this. We can wash our vehicles between 8 p.m. and 12 a.m., Monday and Wednesday. My only problem is finding someone who will stay out there long enough with a flashlight.

So

When we returned home under those conditions I wanted the MH clean before putting it in storage. Come to the rescue, Turtle Wax Ice Detailer. Wipe on, wipe off. I was extremely happy with the results, but I did not finish in one day. The nice thing about it was I did not seem to miss any part of the four sides. It looks good. I did not do the roof. That's DW's job.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

My winter campground in FL charges $25 if you wash your own RV with a hose. Crazy as you use about 10 cents worth of water. And the pros down there charge at least $300 for a complete wash/wax/detail. So I usually just use a bucket and sponge with my ladder to do the front when I arrive. One neighbor said they use a wet swiffer on a pole to do the sides. Might have to try that next time.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden View Post
I use a product called the Solution. It is perfect to wash and provide a wax-like protection for your MH. It won't do a lot of good if the RV is caked with mud (only soap and water will) but if it just has the normal dust and dirt from a long trip it will do wonders. My MH is eight years old and always looks like it just came from the factory. Super Seal Specialty Co. [ Tire Repair - Waterless Car Wash - Waste Digester - Cooling Sealant ] [ Tuff-Stuff - The Solution - Piranha - Super Seal ] I buy the gallon size and it generally lasts me about a year or so.
Is there ANY retail outlet store for the product?
charliereed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

You can also use your extendible pole windshield brush/squeegee. Drape a wet rag on this to loosen the dirt, then dry with another towel on the brush. This works for moderate dirt and doesn't seem to bother the finish if it is waxed. My brush extends far enough that I can reach the top of the coach sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
...one neighbor said they use a wet swiffer on a pole to do the sides. Might have to try that next time.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliereed View Post
Is there ANY retail outlet store for the product?
I'm not aware of any.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

I have used Blue Beacon several times. Think it is $35 for a Class A and another $12 for the application of Rain-X. I stand and watch them - they have been very cautious washing the coach. In less than 15 minutes, you are done. For the most part their work is very good and certainly cost effective and convenient.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

I think the last time I paid for washing the RV was in Mexico. Two guys, hand washed. 200 Pesos for the MH, 50 p. for the toad, IIRC. Less than $25 US with tip.

JT Kirby
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Have you thought of trying The Solution (waterless). Super Seal Specialty Co. [ Tire Repair - Waterless Car Wash - Waste Digester - Cooling Sealant ] [ Tuff-Stuff - The Solution - Piranha - Super Seal ] Works great, then you can touch up for bugs as you pull in each night. I think it's great stuff; I followed up with Meguiars, but I don't think it was actually necessary.
HoboPals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I use a dry wash called "Solution" with excellent results. I also use "Wash and Waxall"
Old 05-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

Trying to get your motorhome washed has not been an easy task for years... Taking it into Blue Beacon or a Freeway truck wash is not as convenient either. Right now the only true alternative is going finding a mobile detailer. The easiest way to do it would be to go to a site like this (Mobile rv detailing), to find a detailer almost anywhere. Everything is laid out completely for you to book your own appointments in.

Having a mobile detailer is convenient because it can get done anywhere: Storage, Home, Campground, Work, etc.

However, If you are a do it yourself person, be prepared to work some good ole elbow grease and sweat... especially if your motorhome if larger than 28'. You are in for a good treat.
RVHomemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Some one mentioned "Bucket" bath if not too bad. Works great, but have a ladder or what I use is a window washers Fixi clamp (Unger brand) head I can put a sponge, microfiber cloth, etc. on and works great with my extender pole. See it in action at
why did I not invent this. Use it a lot though. Probably one of the most useful things to carry. Get the pole adapter when ordering as they usually don't come with them. The responder that draped a towel over his pole needs one of these, no more towels falling off in the dirt.
I also find that Turtle wax Ice Detailer is also very good. Usually only bottom half is bad, can do a quick detail in about a half an hour.
Also carry my CR Spotless for those parks that like to have all the coaches, etc. standing tall and looking good...its good for business.
Rob
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Reading through this thread I was surprised no one mentioned using a 25 cent car wash. I have seen many in various towns that can accommodate RV's and have catwalks on one or both sides so you can reach the upper sides and spray the roof off.

I fill a bucket with soapy water and use an extend-a-brush. Then I just use the spray wash to rinse. I used one about a month ago and cost me less then 5 bucks for the RV and the toad.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Blue Beacon are generally great. $40 for basic wash on coach (30 feet) and toad. Another $8 for RainX.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

For what it is worth, my experience with the Truck washes, what ever brand they are...
Brushes have lost the "soft fray" on the brisles due to heavy use and will scratch.
Keep adding soap and water to buckets that have grime from previous washes in the bottom, don't empty and refill with fresh soap and water. If you ask, some get pissy.

They do OK, but beware, can scratch a nice paint job. Every time I have been to one of these, it is buff with scratch/swirl remover and re-wax. I'll stick to doing my own.
justaroamer is offline   Reply With Quote