Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2019, 10:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Tucson to Texarkana advice sought

After saturating the West, we are headed off to a family reunion in east Texas. Haven't driven there in years, decades. Usually fly into Shreveport, La.

Leaving in a couple of weeks. Back late(ish) June. Don't want to miss the monsoon season in Tucson!!! So many questions!

Planning on I-10 to I-20 to I-30. Planning night 1 at Ft Bliss famcamp, night 2 at Dyess AF famcamp. Any thought on those? Or thoughts on overnite stays elsewhere in El Paso or Abilene?

Any observations on the chosen route?

And the big one! What is the most rig+dinghy (flat tow) friendly way to make the I-20 to I-30 transition in Dallas?

After reunion, heading up to Nashville, down to Kings Bay, GA. into Jacksonville, then to Pensacola and New Orleans to visit some old shipmates while we are still basically vertical . Any suggestions for the Nashville to Jacksonville leg?

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Several years since we stayed at Ft Bliss famcamp but if it's still similar it is highly recommended.
Have not driven I-10 past that point but I-40 coast to coast to Ft Bragg.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Ft Stockton to Junction is barren and without services. Stock up and pre-flight very well.
>>>>>> Junction to Kerville >>>> Fredericksburg. Great museum there. F'burg >>>>North>>>>> Marble Falls >>>> Coppras Cove >>>>>>Killeen >>>>>>> East >>>>> cut south of Waco and head NE toward Tyler. >>>>> N >>>> I30 >>>> E >>>> Texarkana.

DO NOT GO THROUGH DFW OR WACO OR HOUSTON!!!

All very good roads, medium/light traffic except short I35N south of Waco. Good overnight grounds in Kerrville & F'burg And Vic Tyler. Not sure about Killeen but close to Ft Hood. Poor facilities in Waco area...
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Good alternative Old Crow. Likely to make that Conroe to Bryan to Killeen to Fredericksburg loop on the return leg to get around Houston.

If I do not take your route on the outbound leg, any thoughts on leaving Abilene and getting around DFW via Mineral Wells to Decatur to Mckinney to Sulphur Springs to Mt Pleasant?

Old 03-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Good alternative Old Crow. Likely to make that Conroe to Bryan to Killeen to Fredericksburg loop on the return leg to get around Houston.

If I do not take your route on the outbound leg, any thoughts on leaving Abilene and getting around DFW via Mineral Wells to Decatur to Mckinney to Sulphur Springs to Mt Pleasant?

China, I've never done that. I need consult a map and look at the route. Back tomorrow (need real computer!)
Old 03-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Going though Dallas, I would take I-20 to I-635 on the east side of Dallas, then N to I-30. Picking up I-30 on the west side of Ft Worth has you driving through the downtown area of both cities. Probably going to be lots of traffic.
If you plan your travel so you hit Ft Worth about 9:30 to 10am you should not have traffic problems. There will be lots of cars and trucks, but you should not see much slowdown unless there is an accident.

Any bypass around DFW will have good roads, but slow going with lots of small towns. If you want the slow scenic route then a bypass is fine.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post

I put your proposed route in my route planner. It looks like it might be OK. Way better than through DFW. I've been up in the Denton area and traffic there is going to be heavy. Even down in the Killeen >>> Waco area there is a lot of traffic during rush hours so there is no free lunch around Texas meteoplex cities.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Going though Dallas, I would take I-20 to I-635 on the east side of Dallas, then N to I-30. Picking up I-30 on the west side of Ft Worth has you driving through the downtown area of both cities. Probably going to be lots of traffic.
If you plan your travel so you hit Ft Worth about 9:30 to 10am you should not have traffic problems. There will be lots of cars and trucks, but you should not see much slowdown unless there is an accident.

Any bypass around DFW will have good roads, but slow going with lots of small towns. If you want the slow scenic route then a bypass is fine.
This is correct. I-20 isn't bad most of the way.

Are you the Al Florida I know? Hi from George Roberts
gzrgldgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Thanks to all. Knew we would gain great insight from this group.

Old 04-01-2019, 08:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Tucson to Texarkana advice sought

We recently returned from a trip to Tennessee. Our route from Phoenix to Nashville was through Tucson, Las Cruces and US-70 through Ruidoso, NM where we picked up US-380 through Denton, and connected to I-30 at Greenville, TX. US-380 is 2 lane most of the time, but good road surface, and best of all, few trucks! On the way back we stopped at Holloman AFB FamCamp - a no reservation campground, but a good place ($) to stay overnight.
PapaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

We do 10, 20 then 30. We like to follow 20 to IH635 around Southeast corner to pick up IH30 at Misquite.

If the stop fits with your trip plan, Monohan State park is a nice place near Midland-Odessa.
KenC-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice