Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2014, 06:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trip Tec computer

My 2005 Horizon was built without the trip tec computer. I have been wondering if anyone has retrofitted their coach with one and if so where would one go to buy it?
[email protected]
B Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Call the builder of trip-tek systems (208) 938-6331
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Grrrrr. That is 208 938 6331
Old 12-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Kane View Post
My 2005 Horizon was built without the trip tec computer. I have been wondering if anyone has retrofitted their coach with one and if so where would one go to buy it?
Bruce,

I like our Trip-tek system and use various portions of it quite a bit of the time while traveling. But, I've done some serious work on some of the wiring on our coach, which by the way, is an older sister ship to yours. It's an '04 Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. And, in doing some of that wiring work, I learned a bit about that Trip-tek and, the Medallion Info Center in the dash.

The Trip-tek is tied into the engine ECM at a point that's not that easy to find. This is a very long story but, I'll give you the ultra short version. I broke our "J-1939" data link on a trip. That data link is what carries ALL the info from the engine ECM, trans control module, and ABS model all the way forward to what's known as the "MMDC" or, Multi-Module-Data-Computer. That MMDC then deciphers all the info and send it to the dash and the Info Center.

But, the Trip-Tek is not part of that system but get's its info from the engine ECM. When I broke the J-1939, I lost all the gauges, speedo, tach, exhaust brake, cruise control, odometer etc. But, the engine and trans were operating just fine.

The only way I could keep track of what that engine was doing in terms of temp, oil pressure and other data, was by the use of the Trip-Tek, through the monitor of the back up camera. We drove all the way home from that rot gut town of EL Paso Texas, to San Diego using only the Trip-Tek as the monitoring system because the rest of the entire dash was dead! That was a pain in the a$$ 750 miles with no cruise and no exhaust brake.

So, my point here is, I commend you for thinking of installing that Trip-Tek but, be prepared do maybe do some serious digging to find out where all the connection points are to make it work. You may get lucky or, maybe you've got all this figured out ahead of time. It would be interesting to hear how it all went if and when you do the install.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Bruce,

I like our Trip-tek system and use various portions of it quite a bit of the time while traveling. But, I've done some serious work on some of the wiring on our coach, which by the way, is an older sister ship to yours. It's an '04 Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. And, in doing some of that wiring work, I learned a bit about that Trip-tek and, the Medallion Info Center in the dash.

The Trip-tek is tied into the engine ECM at a point that's not that easy to find. This is a very long story but, I'll give you the ultra short version. I broke our "J-1939" data link on a trip. That data link is what carries ALL the info from the engine ECM, trans control module, and ABS model all the way forward to what's known as the "MMDC" or, Multi-Module-Data-Computer. That MMDC then deciphers all the info and send it to the dash and the Info Center.

But, the Trip-Tek is not part of that system but get's its info from the engine ECM. When I broke the J-1939, I lost all the gauges, speedo, tach, exhaust brake, cruise control, odometer etc. But, the engine and trans were operating just fine.

The only way I could keep track of what that engine was doing in terms of temp, oil pressure and other data, was by the use of the Trip-Tek, through the monitor of the back up camera. We drove all the way home from that rot gut town of EL Paso Texas, to San Diego using only the Trip-Tek as the monitoring system because the rest of the entire dash was dead! That was a pain in the a$$ 750 miles with no cruise and no exhaust brake.

So, my point here is, I commend you for thinking of installing that Trip-Tek but, be prepared do maybe do some serious digging to find out where all the connection points are to make it work. You may get lucky or, maybe you've got all this figured out ahead of time. It would be interesting to hear how it all went if and when you do the install.
Scott
Thank you Scott for that information. I called the company and ordered one ($1200). The sales guy says that that there are about 6 wires to connect.
ground, positive always on, positive ignition, 2 wires to the ECM, wire to generator, wire to reverse signal and video to the monitor.

I will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks again for your input.
[email protected]
Old 12-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
skw
Winnebago Watcher

Ok... We have a 2004 Newmar. It has the trip tek already installed. It also has a pioneer CD player and am/fm radio. My problem.......... We can not figure out how to get to the backup camera. We have had it before but now can not figure out how to get it to display. Have changed the source etc. I think I have hit every button and combination of buttons imaginable!!!! We we picked it up from the dealership the tech got in and pushed some buttons and viola!! But now are at a loss. Anyone have any ideas??
skw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Not at the coach but is it pressing the map button quickly twice?
Old 12-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #8
skw
Winnebago Watcher

We do not have the actual Navagation part of it. Disc is missing and cant get it anymore(so we were told). It is just the backup camera and when that comes on the info about the trip - mileage, etc. The info is on top of the view from the camera.
skw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

MAP button immediately above the volume control. Try pressing it twice quickly
Old 12-10-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
We do not have the actual Navagation part of it. Disc is missing and cant get it anymore(so we were told). It is just the backup camera and when that comes on the info about the trip - mileage, etc. The info is on top of the view from the camera.
skw,
Let me see if I'm understanding your issue. When you turn your coach engine on, does your monitor on/in the dash turn on also? If it does, are you saying that you get some "Trip-Tek" information at the top of the monitor screen? If so, what exactly does it say? Just for info here, when I fire our rig up, the monitor comes on too and, the Trip-Tek displays a check list for one to go over and check off each item in prep for take off. I think there's about 8-10 items to be checked of in prep for getting under way.

Then, once you've cleared or, checked off all the points of importance, it will go to it's default application of, "Date and time".

Then, if I so desire, I can run between screens of trip computer, trip mileage, "Leg" "Today" or, "Total". That Trip-Tek will also show a reminder on the screen when a maintenance item is reached. It will blink an "Oil can" for maintenance of any one of a few things that need looking at or, maintenance on.

Now, I can't remember at the minute (imagine that) but, I think that if and when I enter REVERSE, the Trip-Tek heading of date and time, disappear. It's only there when not in reverse. (I better check on that to be sure)
Scott
Old 12-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Well, I installed the trip tea today. It was about a 6 hour job ( an hour per wire). Had some interaction with the company rep in order to find the proper wires. I installed the keypad next to the transmission controller on the left console. Pretty proud.
[email protected]
Old 12-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Well, I installed the trip tea today. It was about a 6 hour job ( an hour per wire). Had some interaction with the company rep in order to find the proper wires. I installed the keypad next to the transmission controller on the left console. Pretty proud.
B Kane,
Well, WHERE'S THE PICS? I need to see pics of a well installed, after-market installed, Trip-Tek system. And, are you getting all the correct info on it, i.e. mileage, trip mileage, Leg, day, total, etc.? I kind-a figured it would be a pain to hook up but, apparently you got it all figured out. Nice job. Need pics.
Scott
Old 12-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
B Kane,
Well, WHERE'S THE PICS? I need to see pics of a well installed, after-market installed, Trip-Tek system. And, are you getting all the correct info on it, i.e. mileage, trip mileage, Leg, day, total, etc.? I kind-a figured it would be a pain to hook up but, apparently you got it all figured out. Nice job. Need pics.
Scott
OK Scott

What do you think of the location of the keypad?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1352.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	284.5 KB
ID:	81322

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	81323
[email protected]
Old 12-18-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
OK Scott

What do you think of the location of the keypad?Attachment 81322

Attachment 81323

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

That placement of the key pad allows for much easier alteration/selection of screens, info, and more while driving and, not deviating from attention needed for driving. Where as mine, is low mounted on the dash and, I have reach down and push any buttons that I desire, based on what I want on the screen. Now, certainly I don't do that in traffic conditions or, freeway (close proximity-higher speed) situations.

If I'm going to "Hunt" for info on that Trip-Tek, I make sure the driving conditions are subtle, un cluttered and then, I will reach for it and push the desired buttons for info requested.

Outstanding. Nice job.
Scott

Tags
computer