Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2019, 10:32 AM   #21
2018 Intent 26M Owner

Planning and Reservations...to do or not to do

Ok, we are planning 3 long trips this summer, first is two weeks from today and the shortest of the three and only 2 weeks...just paid $39 to renew RVTW and used it to fully plan trip #2 which is happening around the 4th of July Holiday and felt reservations due to holiday a must. Now have 14 stops for 3 week trip at about 3000 miles with part being in southern Canada (Alberta and BC). I found making reservations a complete pain in the posterior...so few allow on line reservations, some of the parks don't even open until early May due to higher elevation snow (say Yosemite, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore, Albuquerque, etc). Telephone calls result in leaving messages, etc.

At this point trips 1 and 3 are partially planned and thinking about leaving them partial based on reply to this thread.

So, how many actually decide same day and reserve morning for night time spot? This seems to be wise as many of the parks I have investigated say 48 hours or more to receive free cancellation so same day change not possible without cost. Also, this gives flexibility to stay an extra night in a great place or change the route.

Is reservation making necessary?
feiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:54 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

As you may know many parks have walk on sites on a first come first serve basis. No reservation needed.
However you are taking a chance. Weekend and holidays could be a problem.
I always like to plan ahead and have reservations at the parks.
gomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #23
Site Team

I have not seen RVParky discussed yet and was about to recommend it as a good software (PC and an app) that does planning, routing and can show you stops, parks, etc. I paused as described below and came back to mention it anyway.

I recently planned the next few months for our travels. I went to get a link to our plans to show what it can do and saw a notice that the software has been purchased/ sold and they're not sure what the new company plans to do with the app. I for one am hoping it stays around. It took me a few minutes to figure it out but it does the work of a couple apps once you get used to it.

This is the route we have planned: https://www.rvparky.com/trip/4967437338673152