Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Trip from Houston to Maine

My wife and I are trying to get our act together to make a trip to and from Maine starting in late June and returning in September. Any suggestions for travel route and campgrounds would be appreciated. I realize this puts us into the 4th of July time frame but the caravan we are to meet gathers on July 4th in Maine.
Texasview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

That will be a great trip! We made that trip from Denver several years ago and enjoyed it.

We enjoyed a campground in Rock Hall, MD, so much that we extended our trip several days. It is in the bay and had great hosts. I don’t think you said where in Maine. We stayed at a place called Wassamkee Springs near Scarborough, ME.

Have fun!
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Unless you want to visit Washington DC and NYC and places in between, work your way to I-81 near Knoxville and follow it to Scranton where you pick up I-84 toward Boston. This bypasses all the east coast cities, traffic and toll roads.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

More details of what you want to see and do would help in giving suggestions. Are you planning on visiting the large cities on the east coast on the way or way back?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

How much time do you have?

We live in Texas City and I have made the trip to Central Mass several times. The fastest route is to pick up I-81 and in Scranton, PA, pick up I-84 which will end in Sturbridge, MA. A few stop and go but you could save on Mas Pike tolls by taking US-20 over to Auburn and then 395/290N to 495N to I-95N and into Maine.

Just remember to plan ahead. It is over 2000 miles from Houston. Also, kids are out of school so there will be a lot of campers on the road and staying in campground. Summer travel for us is the only time I try and make reservations ahead of time, especially in the North and Northeast. Massachusetts only has 1 or 2 good campgrounds and the one in Foxboro, MA comes to mind. Also, CG's are expensive up there because the are so seasonal.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If traveling through PA, take in a tour of Gettysburg. 84 East is chewed up and lost of construction. I generally travel 84 West, but next time I will use 81 South in hopes of better road surface.
DGundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

I would not go anywhere near New York City. Stay off I-95 in the northeast. I use I-81 to get up the coast into PA (Scranton) and then I-84 east to CT. You could travel north through upstate NY and cross over through VT but there are no solid travel roads that go east-west through New England because the mountain ridges run north-south.

If you take I-84 to the eastern terminus with I-91 (Mass Pike) in MA then travel east to I-495 north and on to the NH coast and I-95 north to Maine.

Camping areas along the primary routes in New England are in short supply and I have no suggestions. If you take the coastal route through CT, RI and MA there are some nice campgrounds but booking is problematic as they are booked full 6 months in advance almost without exception. You can try Scusset Beach on the Cape Cod Canal in MA, excellent fishing, nice beach (with a sizeable walk) or Charlestown Breachway in RI (dry camping) right on the beach and also good fishing and clamming in the tidal flats, with license. You can also try Bourne Scenic Park on the Cape Cod Canal, another nice place. Heavily booked but, In MA Salisbury Beach State Reservation in Salisbury, MA and Hampton Beach State Park Campground in Hampton Beach, NH. Good luck.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have made lubbock to VA transit many times. 81 from Knoxville to western PA is a nice drive although lots of trucks at times. If you take 81 stop at Creekside campground in Edinburgh (Exit 279 off 81) family owned, small. We have stayed there several times once for 6 months.
Coach Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I use the Good Sam Trip Planner online and choose avoid tolls and highways. I takes the scenic roads and makes for a slower but nicer trip. There is an awful lot of America to be seen off of the Interstates. Have a great safe trip.
kaiweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

When you get to Maine we like Bayleys campground in Scarborough Maine. Also Narrows Too near Bar Harbor.
Balloonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:08 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Try to avoid I95 at all costs. Pick alternate routes from say upstate, Lake George area, New York and cut across Vermont and New Hampshire. Scenic routes and less Maniacs. ENJOY.
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

We did a trip from Maryland to Maine last Sept. We wanted to do the shoreline, though, and Sept. after Labor Day was perfect for that. We stayed at Fishermans Memorial State Park in Narragansett so we could visit Newport, RI (weekdays), Salisbury Beach State Park in MA, Wassamki Springs in Scarborough for Portland, ME, Megunticook in Rockport, ME, and then to our final destination in Mt. Desert: Smuggler's Den in SW Harbor.
lnkaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

When you were in Salisbury, you were 15 miles from where we live in New Hampshire. One of our favorite rides, by motorcycle, is north from there right along the coast through Portsmouth and up to Wells, Me. Have a safe trip, and enjoy the sunset from Cadillac Mountain.
jmo01830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I made the trip to Maine from Ohio last year. Knowing your destination in Maine would help we went to Acadia /Bar harbor we stayed at Desert Narrows on the north west side of the park. I would research Black fly season as its an issue up there. We went in Mid August was a perfect time of year for the weather, June may be bug season check it out, those black flies bite.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGundy View Post
If traveling through PA, take in a tour of Gettysburg.
Great advice, we stay at Artillery Ridge campground and horse park a couple times a year. There are lots of very nice parks there but that’s our favorite. It’s bicycle distance from the battlefield, bus tours to DC, and the National Riding Stables are on site. We’ve been bringing our own horses, but they do conduct trail rides through the battlefield all day with theirs, great experience. One could spend a week there and not see everything. Don’t miss the Cyclorama at the visitor center it’s amazing, and the closest one can ever get to understanding what it was like. Gettysburg is an awesome place not to be missed.

http://www.artilleryridge.com/

https://www.nps.gov/gett/learn/histo...-cyclorama.htm
thompwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 09:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I second the stay off of I-95 and stay on I-81. 95 from Virginia and up can be a parking lot at times plus tolls, tunnels, etc. I-81 has a load of campgrounds to stop at you just have to check the prices as some that are near other tourist areas are quite a bit higher than I like to pay for simply overnight. As for Maine consider the Maine Lobster Festival July 31st - August 4th, 2019 Maine Lobster Festival: 72nd Annual Celebration of All Things Lobster, July 31 - August 4, 2019 in Rockland, Maine at Rockland. When we went there two summers ago we stayed a week at nearby Rockport and stayed at the Megunticook Campground https://megunticookcampgrounds.com/ Nice place and nice people running it.
Member FMCA F421963, GS Life, SKP#127220, WIT, PA,
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Robmat is offline   Reply With Quote