Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Texas Plains Trail to Tucson, AZ

Texas Plains Trail to Tucson, AZ
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
City Of Rocks State Park is a great little campground. Pretty far off the main road, but quiet, well kept and full of interesting things to see. New Mexico State Parks and campgrounds are very inexpensive.

Those passing through Deming might also want to check out Rockhound State Park south of the city.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We thought about Rock Hound on our way back home!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Not sure but check on Rockhound being closed as that is what we had there a short time back? Might have only been a short term closing.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Not sure but check on Rockhound being closed as that is what we had there a short time back? Might have only been a short term closing.
I just checked their website and it did not say anything about the campground being closed. It did say that Spring Canyon day use was closed. Here is the posting:

Spring Canyon day use area is closed Monday & Tuesday. 12/30/2014 - ongoing

But of course it would be wise to call them to be sure. The number on the webpage was 575-546-6182. I have stayed at both and prefer City of Rocks, but I believe that Rockhound is closer to the Interstate than City of Rocks.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I just checked their website and it did not say anything about the campground being closed. It did say that Spring Canyon day use was closed. Here is the posting:

Spring Canyon day use area is closed Monday & Tuesday. 12/30/2014 - ongoing

But of course it would be wise to call them to be sure. The number on the webpage was 575-546-6182. I have stayed at both and prefer City of Rocks, but I believe that Rockhound is closer to the Interstate than City of Rocks.
Yes, I had also checked but that posting is from 2014 and we were wanting to be there much later than four years ago. I might guess that they are not keeping the site very current? We run the I 10 route and I can't say which trip but much more recent than 2014 and likely sometime in 2018 for the closure. The problem with websites seems to be that there is often money to build a site but then there is often nobody to maintain it and it falls by the wayside.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Yes, I had also checked but that posting is from 2014 and we were wanting to be there much later than four years ago. I might guess that they are not keeping the site very current? We run the I 10 route and I can't say which trip but much more recent than 2014 and likely sometime in 2018 for the closure. The problem with websites seems to be that there is often money to build a site but then there is often nobody to maintain it and it falls by the wayside.
We passed through Deming about 3 months ago heading for South Padre Island in Texas and I thought about staying at Rockhound SP. I called them and they were open, but they said that they had an infestation of wasps and we decided to stay at a regular commercial site in Deming itself.

The Ranger at the park said that people were there, and the wasps were not bothering anyone but my wife dislikes insects like bees and wasps and so we stayed elsewhere. I can not speak for the park as of right now and last September is the latest contact I had with them, but they were open then.