Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

State Parks in Georgia?

From the response in the Winnebago forum, there seems to be a ton of Winnie travel trailer owners here. We bought a new Minnie Plus a few weeks ago and are going to use this week as an opportunity to take it out the first time. We are considering Uniqoui or Blackrock Mountain State Parks. We want somewhere within a few hours of Athens, GA that will provide plenty for kids to do this time of year. We have 3 little ones: 6, 4 and 2. Even though it was 70 degrees for Christmas, it's still too cool for water activities. We ruled out of Tugaloo on Lake Hartwell for that reason. What are your favorites?
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Stone Mountain is very nice.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We planned to go to Stone Mountain before Christmas, but it rained every day we were planning to go. Our first trip out, I really want to head somewhere in the mountains, far away from Atlanta. After looking at availability, it looks like Uniqoui or Coudland Canyon are our best options. Can't decide between the two. Blackrock Mountain is closed for the winter, and we are going to Vogel in about 6 weeks.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Might want to research Red Top Mountain State Park. Right off I
-75 just north of Atlanta.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Our favorite Georgia state parks:
Cloudland Canyon - Trenton, Ga
James "Sloppy" Floyd - Summerville, Ga
Ft. Mountain - Chatsworth, Ga
gwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
SMB
Winnebago Watcher

Will be doing Cloudland sometime this summer along with more North GA parks. From Athens any of the ACE parks on Lanier, Allatoona, Hartwell, Strom Thurmond and many fine GA State camps are well within your reach. My experience has been that the ACE, Army Corp of Engineer sites are exceptional and extremely reasonable and well managed. Oh every body has a sore spot, I do to, but usually that's just my opinion, and everyone has one of those. I would look into setting your schedule and making reservations now for when the water is more temperate, the good ones seem to fill up fast. Happy Trails.....
SMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Consider getting a GA State Park Pass, especially if you plan to visit the State Parks more than once. GA charges the Park entrance fee whether or not you camp. The pass that we bought covered unlimited entries to GA State Parks, plus we got one night of free camping. There are higher tier passes that give you 2 free nights of camping. We used our free night on our first visit and the pass has more than paid for itself. Seniors get a nice discount too.
https://friendsofgastateparks.org/node/628
Old 12-27-2016, 06:45 PM   #8

I really wish our Georgia State Parks would come out of the dark ages and upgrade to 50 amp power being the norm and not the exception. Site specific reservations and full hook ups.
Almost every state around us has those things.
The major reason we don't do GA State Parks.
Cranemec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Blackrock

Just saw this and you may already be there. I've always been apprehensive about climbing Blackrock with a motorhome. There are some pretty tight switchbacks and very steep grades going up.

If you can do it the vistas are awesome up there. If your not there you might want to check on accessibility with your rig first. If you are there it would be great to know if you had any problems??
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We ended up in Unicoi just outside Helen. It s under 2 hrs from home, is familiar and has a town close by, in case we forget a few things..which we did. First run went great. It pulled well, other than the strong 25 mph winds pushing me around. Setup was great....very easy and fast. We still have to work on the sleeping arrangements with 3 small kids, but we will work that oht with a few trips. Unicoi is a really nice park with a lot to do. Had a really great time! Thanks for the advice. I hope to try Blackrock Mountain this summer. Will have to check out how tight it is before going, though. 30ft trailers and switchbacks don't get along very well.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranemec View Post
I really wish our Georgia State Parks would come out of the dark ages and upgrade to 50 amp power being the norm and not the exception. Site specific reservations and full hook ups.
Almost every state around us has those things.
The major reason we don't do GA State Parks.
Massachusetts state parks have 20amp electric at some sites, and no individual water or sewer hookups. This is common in all the northeast states.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 04:36 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Blackrock Mountain State Park is my favorite park when it's 90 degrees at the house. The sites are smaller and kind of tight for large campers and the road up the mountain takes "courage".

Vogel State Park is a great park for kids. There is no cable or OTA TV available. They do rent paddle boats and have a large putt putt course. Nice trail around the lake and the CCC museum is a must see.

Unicoi is nice but none of the campsites are on the lake. It's close to Helen which makes for a good side trip. The swimming beach is closed and there are minimal programs for the kids. 30 years ago, they had an extensive Summer program for the kids but budget cuts killed that. The old classroom is still down by the abandoned beach.

Many of the COE parks are closed for the Winter. Bolding Mill near Gainesville is still open. Nice parks and large campsites.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:56 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
... I've always been apprehensive about climbing Blackrock with a motorhome. There are some pretty tight switchbacks and very steep grades going up.
if you like that, then try the campground at the top of Amicalola Falls State Park, the 1 mile road leading up the campground is posted at '25 percent grade'
...and they mean it!

and don't forget the major switchback, uphill, WITHIN the campground... fun!
49 US States(including ALASKA) & 10 Canadian Provinces
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
if you like that, then try the campground at the top of Amicalola Falls State Park, the 1 mile road leading up the campground is posted at '25 percent grade'
...and they mean it!

and don't forget the major switchback, uphill, WITHIN the campground... fun!
LOL- very familiar with Amicalola. Its a wee bit puckering- even in a car. But its worth it to get to the top! Love the view and the lodge there. I'd never attempt it im my motorhome.

In my youth (young- foolish and not so smart) , I skipped classes for an afternoon and free climbed the face of the falls at Amicalola with a friend of mine. I later read some folks weren't so lucky completing that task . This was long before the lodge was built at the top. Now I can barely make it up the steps at the lodge without huffing and puffing!!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:38 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I really want to try Blackrock this summer. Would you drag a 30' travel trailer into the park, or would you not even attempt it with a larger trailer?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:00 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I seen a few 30'+ trailers at Blackrock SP, but only a few. The twisty steep climb up the mountain is only half the fun. Many of the campsites are short or are tight turns to get into. To get to the back half of the campground, you have to commit to a narrow one lane road that goes between the mountain side and a guardrail. There are larger campers that successfully use Blackrock SP. When they show up, everybody turns their chairs to watch the show.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well, crap....I really want go there. Not up for a butt clenching experience just to get into a campsite, though. We are heading to Vogel for Presidents Day weekend. I've heard the campground there is really nice.