Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Silverton CO. Trip

Hello all,
I live in Huntsville, Tx and am planning a trip to Silverton CO this July. I am wondering about the HWY 550 from Albuquerque area to Silverton. Is this a good route to take in a 2012 Winne Tour 42QD towing a Jeep? I am pretty sure the part from Durango to Silverton will be fine as I have seen many 18 Wheelers on that part before. I have traveled through this area before but on a Harley and not the MH. Any advise would help. Thanks.

Ray
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

550 is a very good road. Take a look with Google Earth.
It is your most direct route.
I drive most years, from WA, on the way to the Balloon Fiesta.

Take the Jeep to Ouray and Telluride.
We have taken the MH and toad across the "Million Dollar Highway" from Grand Junction. Beautiful drive in late Sept.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #3
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post
550 is a very good road. Take a look with Google Earth.
It is your most direct route.
I drive most years, from WA, on the way to the Balloon Fiesta.

Take the Jeep to Ouray and Telluride.
We have taken the MH and toad across the "Million Dollar Highway" from Grand Junction. Beautiful drive in late Sept.
Absolutely, the million dollar hiway is a must do, going north from Silverton. I was just watching a video on that this week. I'm doing that one next year.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 04:22 AM   #4
Veteran & RV Owner

The Million Dollar Highway (US 550) is a beautiful drive but it is also not for the faint hearted! My wife and I saw a car go over the side (most of the road has no crash barriers on the side of the road that drops hundreds of feet down) near the old mines south of Ouray last October. The speed limit is 25 MPH on long stretches......for good reason!
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 08:10 AM   #5
Site Team

We take 550 from ABQ to Durango all the time in our Adventurer. It’s a great road. And we usually camp at a great National Forest Campground 15 miles up 550 at Lake Haviland. It’s fabulous!

However, we’ve only taken our toad over to Silverton. As was previously mentioned “it’s not for the faint hearted” and we are that when it comes to the RV. Very challenging road.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Years ago we camped outside of Durango and took the train to Silverton and then the bus back down. Was enjoyable.
richp5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The part from Durango to Silverton is the problem, not from Abq to Durango.

550 from Durango is a good 2 lane normal width highway with some steep climbs, very little to no shoulder in places and mostly no guard rail. As long as you are comfortable with driving your rig on steep curving mountain roads at slow speeds you will be fine.

I have driven from Ouray to Durango in the 40' DP we had and didn't have a problem. Just go slow and use the proper gears going up and down.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

From ABQ to The NM State line 550 is a good 4 lane highway. From the CO-NM State line it is a good 2 lane road into Durango. From Durango to Silverton you climb up Coal Bank Hill at 10,640 feet then Molas Pass at 10,910 feet before you drop into Silverton at 9,307 feet. The road is a good road but it has some steep grades and sharp turns.

Fill with fuel in Durango before heading to Silverton. Take your time goiing over the two passes into Silverton.

We live in Durango.
Sgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all of your replies and help with my trip. This looked like a good road and I knew some of you would know for sure. Thanks.

Ray
Raylc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 11:20 AM   #10
CoveredWagon

I don't know how it is now, but I took 550 from Grand Junction to Durango in 1998, driving my old 1983 Pace Arrow 31' and towing a Dodge Dakota! When I got to Durango, I called my cousin in Grand Junction and threatened to slap both cousins and one of their husbands for sending me that way! They got a good laugh! It rained all the way up and down that mountain! 10 MPH speed limits going up (I could only do 5 MPH!) My fuel pump from my main tank decided to not push fuel for 30 feet so my motor died around a blind curve! Thankfully I had a reserve tank only about 5 feet from the engine....and the electric valve switch worked!
It may have been enjoyable if the weather was good, but....
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The 10mph areas are on some sharp switchbacks with very wide pavement.

https://goo.gl/maps/YHYw1Du5sgu

Then for the passenger there is this short section w/o guard rail and a 100' drop down to a creek. Looking out the passenger side window and you can see straight down. Keep in mind this is a normal width road and your speed will be about 30mph. There is no physical reason why there would be any danger. The scariness is in the mind of the driver and passenger.

https://goo.gl/maps/PxXTUzSj4nn
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Colorado

2018 Fall, beautiful. Do it with good brakes, a jump seat passenger who trusts the driver, and SLOW DOWN!! Absolutely bucket lists journey. Much safer than my 1973 high speed almost smacked by mountain motorcycle trip.
Retired FF is offline   Reply With Quote