Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Don't forget that late February thru March means Cactus League spring training baseball all over the PHX area. There are only two "regions" now - Cactus in PHX and Citrus League in FL, so 1/2 the MLB teams end up in PHX and the rest in FL.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #22
Just Ama

Quote:
Originally Posted by corton View Post
Don't forget that late February thru March means Cactus League spring training baseball all over the PHX area. There are only two "regions" now - Cactus in PHX and Citrus League in FL, so 1/2 the MLB teams end up in PHX and the rest in FL.
YIKES... I had forgotten about that. We live in Casa Grande, so we're not as affected with Spring Training as people who live up in the Valley are. We generally avoid going to Phoenix/Scottsdale when we know traffic and congestion is going to be bad.
Guess, the best advice we can give to them, is to try and book a spot early, and if they know where they want to stay, keep calling them until they have a spot open up. Most places will put you on a 'cancellation list' and call you if they have one. We like staying in State Parks when we can get away for a few days. They will show 'full' for the dates we want to go. By continuing to check, we've been lucky more than once because someone had to cancel their reservation, and we grabbed it before someone else did. Again, I'll say.. Good Luck
AzLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #23
Site Team

We spend 5-weeks at the Tucson Lazy Days/KOA each January. We have to make reservations for the next year before we leave during out trip. This is to get a longish term rental in a "deluxe" spot. We can even pick the spot for next year but not always our 1st choice. Once we found out how nice Tucson is in January, and how great the Lazy Days KOA is we have just booked a year in advance. Once you've gotten used to doing that you're set for next year without worry.

They do have standard sites available pretty much all the time. If you don't mind a week in one and then moving to another for a week you can probably get 4-weeks or more booked.

Catalina State Park, on the North side of Tucson is fantastic. But it too books up a year in advance during January. And, they don't offer full hookups.

We've been to Phoenix in April and had no trouble getting into McDowell Mountain Regional Park on the far East side of town near Fountain City. It was really nice (power and water only). But then April is starting to see hot conditions. I just checked for Jan and Feb and it's just about completely booked up.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Stay in Casa Grande, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveljunkie View Post
We just purchased a 2017 Winnabago Navion and are excited to hit the road next February. We'd like to head to the South West to visit family. I've checked with some RV parks around Phoenix and they are full - these are the big parks, lots of rigs, lots of facilities. A friend mentioned that a few years ago they were able to get into the regional parks in the area with no problem, but when I check those it seems they are also full. Is it possible to go to the Phoenix area without reservations in February and find a place to stay? My sister indicated that you can park on the street for up to 3 days - we'd stay with our family not in the rig, but we'd prefer not to have to fall back on that route. Any thoughts, experience?
Thanks!
Well, my wife and I have stayed in many area of Az over the last few years. We really like the town of Casa Grande. It's a smaller town of 50,000 but in the Winter months, it will grow to 100,000 with all the winter guests. We stay in Sundance 1 RV resort, for the past 5 winters. Great place with friendly host with many really nice campers and full of activities for all to enjoy. It's 40-60 southeast of Phoenix on I10 and there are many RV parks there. Best price if when you book for 30 days...but they do have daily sites, too. We now stay 4-5 months at a time. It's fun in the sun for us....
rfoster46 is offline   Reply With Quote