Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

printing from an ipad on the road

I have a new ipad and a HP 3050a which when homeI use airprint through my wireless net to print from my ipad. I want to use the same printer in my coach when on the road to print from my ipad. Any thoughts on how to do this?
Old 08-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have the same situation with my iPhone. I believe you need to have the wifi password to get it to print. Therefore you'll have to ask those who supply your wifi or have your own wifi plan.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

If you have an iPhone, you should be able to set up a "hot spot" and use it the same as your home network. But, that will involve using your data plan bandwidth. If you don't print a lot, it should not matter much, but if you want to print a lot, you may need a different solution.

We have an old KR1 wireless router that we use to set up a "network" in the camper to watch the Apple TV without using our Verizon data plan. We cannot watch Netflix or YouTube or anything that involves the internet, but we can stream from the computer to the television and we can share printers and data between our computers also without using the data plan.

Before the days of iPhones, we used to plug a USB modem into the KR1 router to allow us to have internet.
stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcous View Post
I have a new ipad and a HP 3050a which when homeI use airprint through my wireless net to print from my ipad. I want to use the same printer in my coach when on the road to print from my ipad. Any thoughts on how to do this?
In order to print to your HP 3050a from your iPad, or any other computer, you will need to connect both devices to the same WiFi network. If you have your own WiFi router in your coach then the setup will be basically like you have it setup at your home. If you are using the campground WiFi you will need to connect both devices to the campground WiFi. However, I would NOT advise you do this as you create two problems. The first problem is basically anyone else on the campground WiFi can connect to your printer and print to it! The second problem is you have to setup your printer and iPad each time you move to a new campground.

The best way, IMHO, is to setup a WiFi router in your coach and use an external WiFi device such as a Ubiquiti Picostation airMAX | Ubiquiti Networks, Inc. attached to the Internet Port on the router. Each time you move to a new campground you would need to configure the Picostation to connect to the campground WiFi. There are some campground WiFis that require you to login on a webpage and this method will not work.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Do you have a laptop that you could hook the printer to using a USB port? If so you could simply email whatever you want to print and access the email from the laptop and print it without having the printer hooked up to the wireless network.
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Any hot spot, either a stand alone or iPhone hot spot, will act as a local router. Once your iPad and printer have a connection to the hot spot the iPad will search and find the printer. Printing does not use any of your data plan as it does not go over the cell connection.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Like others have said...you need a network setup to marry the two devices.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Do you have any other computing devices with you on the road, like a laptop or desktop system?

p.s., Check page 32 of the user guide on connectivity. You will need a router to perform this print function using the 3050a.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote