Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Our first long trip.

Hi all. Just returned home from a trip from Mass. to Nashville for the CMA Fest last week. This was our first long trip in our 2000 Adventurer 32V Workhorse. I was very happy with the way the coach handled and performed. We bought this in early April and have only had to put on a set of Hankook AH11 tires for $1850. I left Tuesday afternoon after work on the 4th and went down I 84 over the Tappan Zee Bridge to I 81 and stopped at the 24 hr Walmart in Hagerstown MD for the night. Called them at about 12:30 AM and asked if I could join the 5-6 other Campers in the lot and they said no problem. Spent a bit of money in the store the next morning and back on the road around 10:30 AM. Pulled into the Nashville Shores Campground around 9:30 that night. Found my spot and just plugged in the power as I had to pick up my wife at Nashville Airport the next morning and we didn't rent a Tow Dolly.

The Airport Parking people I called earlier in May said that I should have no problem accessing the Arrival and Departure areas in my 11' 6" Coach and they were correct. The outside lanes have no overhead roof and it was not a terribly busy area to sit for 2-3 minutes while waiting for her to come out. We had purchased a 4 day parking pass to LP Field where the main concerts were to take place each evening for $140 and they put us in Lot P which is about 200 yards south of the Stadium and also close to the footbridge over to the Broadway area which was blocked off to traffic and had shows and vendors during the day. We were joined by only about 6 other RV's in this lot and told that we couldn't overnight, but 3 of them did with no issues. Wish I did as well as the shows went until about 1-2 AM and then we headed back to Nashville Shores each evening, hooked up the power and sewer hose and broke down the next morning again. Good practice for me.

I used my Pilot/Flying J RV Gas Rewards card exclusively for this trip and made 5 fuel stops for a total of 282 gallons at a total of $965 and still have approx. 1//4 tank left. Total mileage was just a hair under 2400 miles traveled which comes out to 8.5 MPG. Now have just over 65K miles total on the Coach. We had originally bought the CMA Tickets, Hotel & Flights last year before we even thought about the RV and figure we were right in line with what we would have spent on those with the added convenience of being able to Tailgate all day at our little base of operations right next to all of the action rather than rent a car and drive back to the hotel during the day so all in all we were very happy. I am now fully confident in the Coach's ability to take us anywhere and we have to start thinking about our next trip. Would love to head out West for a couple of weeks.

For any new owners or people thinking of buying an RV, we would say Go for it! Great way to see and experience the country!
Old 06-16-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Joe , I'm happy that you enjoying traveling with you coach, but if you haven't done and end of trip fill up, then were you calculating fuel economy to the gallons and miles at your last fill up.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Keep on havin fun
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Joe - we'll be happy to have you 'out west' anytime. As we live in the mountains of AZ, where Wyatt Earp hung out and Barry Goldwater sold nails and chew in a store down the block, you're more than welcome. Take 40 west to the Grand canyon turnoff, and head north to the south rim. I can assure you'll love it! Just keep an eye on those Hankooks - they earned their nickname.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well done. Another road warrior for sure. Keep it up...
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Congrats on the first long trip. I have a Winnebago Sightseer on a Workhorse Chassis also. Your report was interesting and relevant to me.
Flanagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Awesome ! We love the ride down I-81, beautiful country.

What a great summary of your trip to Tennessee. We attend music festivals like Bonnaroo and Firefly and love having the motorhome.

You should look into attending more music festivals.

Enjoy and keep posting the great experiences.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Will update the mileage after I top it back off. Thanks for pointing that out. A lil tired when I made the original post.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:19 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Joe, congrats on a successful first long trip in the coach. When we got our first DP, a 2002 Winnbago Journey, I took a month off from work and we headed out West. What a trip! It was a real thrill for us to see some of the great sights in that part of the country....Mount Rushmore, Rocky Mountain National Park, Mounument Valley, Grand Canyon, Sedona and more. It reinforced for us the saying, 'If you want to see what man has made, go East. If you want to see what God has made, go West.'

Wishing you many happy and safe miles.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote