Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New England Trip Plan

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for suggestions from the well-traveled RV veterans for a camping trip from Greenville, SC, up into New England this fall. I always get great advice from my friends at IRV2. I'm looking for good campground suggestions, places to see suggestions, and any further ideas you may have.

Thanks to all.....
Buzzyb
buzzyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

BuzzyB... can not tell you I am a well seasoned RVer vetran...but I am well NewEnglanded. My travels include the
1. New England Culinary Institute Restaurants in lovely Manchester VT area.
2. Ben and Jerry Icecream factory tour (VT)
3. Budweiser Factory in Merrimack NH (Clydesdale site and fine beer tour)
4. Market Place Diner in Hollis NH (little gem with the funniest staff)
5. Cabot Creamery and Cheese factory (VT)
6. King Arthur Flour in Norwich VT
7. MagicHat Brewery in Burlington VT
8. Ausable Chasm NY 2144 Rte 9, Ausable Chasm, NY 12911

Here is just a little sample of really sweet places to include in a drive thru just a couple of the NE states. I can go on and on since I grew up in that area and as I revisit I try to go all over and see it again. Little pieces at a time.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Be aware that after October 15 very few if any campgrounds will be open. There may be some state parks open though. We lived in NH for 18 years and spent a couple of summers there after we started full timing. You might consider staying in NH for a while and using it as a base camp while taking day trips to MA, VT, and ME.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Color starts to peek around the last week of Sept. To the first week in Oct. here in NH. Bear Brook (state) park closes at the end of Oct. No hook ups but you can dump and fill your water tanks.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

we are originally from Maine and return each summer. Private e-mail me if you would like detailed information about the northern New England area.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Also Twin Oaks State park is open till end of Oct. It is off 101 between Manchester and the coast. If you have a tow then you will need to go out rt 112 east (Kancamagus Hwy) from Interstate 93 in it as I would not want to use a rv on that road.
87Rockwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 03:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyb View Post
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for suggestions from the well-traveled RV veterans for a camping trip from Greenville, SC, up into New England this fall. I always get great advice from my friends at IRV2. I'm looking for good campground suggestions, places to see suggestions, and any further ideas you may have.

Thanks to all.....
Buzzyb
Greetings,

My wife and I were in the New England states and added a month in the Maritimes last summer and Fall. It was our first time there, and we had a fabulous time.

We spend quite a bit of effort blogging about our travels and things we do at each stop, and I post reviews of every campground on RVPARKREVIEWS. You may find some useful information on our site, if your interests are similar. Feel free to check us, you might want to enter "New England" in the search box on our main page to get started. Good luck, and enjoy your trip!
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

If the weather is in your favor you will have a great vacation. One word of caution. Avoid NYC at all cost. I take I-287 north in NJ and go over the Tappen Zee Bridge. This is a nice route. Just be careful to stay to the right when you come off the bridge. The signs are a bit confusing. North west NY is great in the fall also. You can plan your stops, as you know, by the Good Sam trip help.

Have fun!

Rick
Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Avoid leaf peeping in the Vermont area over Columbus Day Weekend. Every one else is up in the area then and traffic can be a nightmare.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You realize that you can't visit New England without a stop in Cape Cod. I think it was in the Constitution somewhere. Also a trip to Boston's old north end is an adventure in itself with the old North Church, Paul Revere's residence and Quincy Marketplace. Will you be towing a car behind the Adventurer? If not you would probably want to rent a car when you get to a campground. There is a State park at the entrance to Cape Cod that is right on the Cape Cod canal. They have 30 amp elect and water with a dumping station. Your 35 ft unit will fit all the sites and its great for bicycles. It's called Scusset Beach State Park and you can reserve through Reserve America. Hope this helps your planning.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHAFER View Post
You realize that you can't visit New England without a stop in Cape Cod. I think it was in the Constitution somewhere. Also a trip to Boston's old north end is an adventure in itself with the old North Church, Paul Revere's residence and Quincy Marketplace. Will you be towing a car behind the Adventurer? If not you would probably want to rent a car when you get to a campground. There is a State park at the entrance to Cape Cod that is right on the Cape Cod canal. They have 30 amp elect and water with a dumping station. Your 35 ft unit will fit all the sites and its great for bicycles. It's called Scusset Beach State Park and you can reserve through Reserve America. Hope this helps your planning.
This is all true. I used to live about 10 miles as the crow flies from Plymouth. The history of our nations founding is rich in MA. The Constitution is docked in Boston and there is a replica of one of the Columbus ships in Plymouth.

A foot note: Don't expect much if you visit Plymouth Rock. The monument overwhelms it. Do visit Plymouthe Plantation (I think the spelling is correct). It is a great take and historically accurate.

If you do go to this region of NE be prepared for the poor condition of I-95 through CT. I think it has been under construction in some areas since it was first built. But the trip is not all bad and, for your purpose, well worth the inconveniences that may arise. All of NE is full of great places to visit, including CT. Groten is where the US submarine building yard is.

Here's a thought. Head up in late summer and return when the leaves begin to turn. If you are coming from northern ME you will see it all!

Have a great trip.

Rick
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Take the cog train to the top of Mt Washington in NH and you will have something to talk about for years. Also the small seaside villages along the Maine coast are simply beautiful. Very quaint and so "Down East".
Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Be aware that after October 15 very few if any campgrounds will be open..
I noticed the closures started Sept. 15, those parks that were open had shut down many amenities ; pools , laundry, even stores; and offered no off season rates.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

The WIT Club does a caravan through New England so go to their web site and see what is included. Might get some good ideas or even sign up to go along. My experience with the WIT Club has been pretty positive and those I have spoken with who went on the New England gave it a plus rating.

Don G. WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzyb View Post

I'm looking for good campground suggestions, places to see suggestions, and any further ideas you may have.
Hi Buzzyb,

We stayed at Libby's Oceanside Camp (Libby's Oceanside Camp - York Harbor, Southern Maine Coast) in York Harbor, ME last fall and enjoyed being right on the beach.

Good luck!

Take care,
Stu