Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Frank,s route is absolutely the best. No matter how temping route 95 through CT, RI and MA looks on the map, stay away. It is very stressfull even in just an automobile. The only rush hour traffic you will hit is around Hartford and maybe parts of 495, but nothing compared to 95.

Enjoy!

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

My wife lived in Maine growing up and i was a Marylander growing up. We have made many trips up and back. I would suggest that you listen to the folks about I-81 And I-84!! You will hit a small piece of I-90 to get to I-495 around Boston. Then You have severial options, But i would get on I-95 till you get almost to Portland and then if you want take rt 1 or I-95 on up to where you are going. When I left there last year there was no construction at all but that may have changed now. Anyway you go up that way forget the route between Boston and N.J. NOT rv friendly and tolls will eat up your Money big time! I-84 is pay once to go across the Hudson river. if you go back that way no toll!! New Hampshire and Maine both have toll on I-95 but can't remember how much it was now. Above Portland you could go I-95 which is not toll or stay on the I-495 and pay the tolls. I liked the I-95 above Portland as it is along the coast more so than I-495! Hope this helps you out and enjoy the trip, Dan
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Dan for your input. I have really recieved some great advise from the travelers on this site and I greatly appreciate it. I hope to be able to share some as useful information in the near future as I have recieved concerning our up coming trip.
One more questions...... I recently applied for and recieved a BP credit card through Chase Bank. I obtained the BP care because they have one of the few credit cards that gives you rewards/discounts for diesel fuel. They currently have a promotional deal where for the 1st 60 days you get a 10% discount on all gas and diesel fuel purchased. And with diesel hovering around $4.00, that's 40cents a gallon off. After the 1st 60 days, it drops to 5% off. Well worth the effort.
Now to my question.... Are there BP stations throughout New England? If so, are they RV friendly or truck stops?
Again, thanks for all the info. I'll keep all of you posted on our great journey to New England.
NCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Tom,
I agree with Frank on the first page of this thread. I made the trip from Texas to New England this spring/summer towing a Montana 3400RL. I-81 is real nice. Some parts of I-84 through NY are rough, but bearable. As stated, NH and Maine roads are very narrow. Do not rely on GPS alone, look at a map and make corrections. I followed a GPS route into Maine and was on some twisty turneys that I wish I had a motorcycle, not an RV.

Freeport/Durham KOA is nice, and easy to get to. It's only about 5 miles from Freeport where the big LL Bean store is. All you need is money!!!

If you do decide to use I-81, you will be close to Gettysburg and Lancaster PA. Lancaster has Roamers Retreat CG which is very nice and centrally located.

Also, a very nice CG is North Fork, in Front Royal, VA. I will stop there again.

Edited: Here is a link for BRIDGE CLEARANCES
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTom:
Thanks Dan for your input. I have really recieved some great advise from the travelers on this site and I greatly appreciate it. I hope to be able to share some as useful information in the near future as I have recieved concerning our up coming trip.
One more questions...... I recently applied for and recieved a BP credit card through Chase Bank. I obtained the BP care because they have one of the few credit cards that gives you rewards/discounts for diesel fuel. They currently have a promotional deal where for the 1st 60 days you get a 10% discount on all gas and diesel fuel purchased. And with diesel hovering around $4.00, that's 40cents a gallon off. After the 1st 60 days, it drops to 5% off. Well worth the effort.
Now to my question.... Are there BP stations throughout New England? If so, are they RV friendly or truck stops?
Again, thanks for all the info. I'll keep all of you posted on our great journey to New England. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

NCTom, As far as Deb and I can remember there were no BP/ Amoco Stations in Maine. Last time up there was in February of 2007. Sorry..
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 10:10 AM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

I agree with Tom for your route. We came from Miami just the way Tom recommends. We live in Brunswick which is just north of Portland.

We use to travel by car and pull a boat behind us and we have gone the other way thru NJ, Ny up 95. Since we have the motor home we went Toms way and what a beautiful trip. The tunnels do not want you to go thru them with propane. The bridges traffic is always a mess, plus all the tolls.

I will tell you that some of the toll plaza's are pretty tight, but you can make it if you go slow.

I also agree about planning your travels thru the NE avoiding Friday thru Sunday. It's just not worth the time spent in traffic.

When our kids come up from Ma. on the weekends, they always leave on Monday or they travel after the dinner hour on Sunday and get home faster than leaving early on Sunday.

Maine is a beautiful state and the people are great. The food is even better and you won't want to leave.

The season for the Change of the leaves is coming soon. We haven't seen any change yet but it's coming.

If you plan on going to Bar Harbor, there is a National park there named Acadia. We have driven by car not by motor home.

We are going to be leaving here next week and we think we are going to drive up to the Great Lakes and see the changing of leaves on that route. We are going to keep going until the weather makes us head back south to Florida.

You will never forget your trip to Maine. Have a great time and safe travel.