Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Mineral Water baths

My wife and I are planning a trip late this Spring from where we live in southern Arizona to Theodore Roosevelt National Park which will include several other parks along the way. Typically the route covers Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, North and South Dakota and then back to Arizona, but since the route travels through the Rockies it also passes near many hot mineral water baths. My wife really likes mineral water and thinks that it helps her aches and pains so we are looking for decent commercial mineral water places to stop that have RV parks either at or near the facility.

There are several that we know of along the way - Lava Hot Springs in Idaho, Fountain of Youth RV Park in Thermopolis, Wyoming, Pagosa Hot Springs in Colorado and a few others, but I was wondering if anyone on this forum knew of any good places to stop at for hot mineral springs baths. We are generally looking for improved baths and are not so interested in hiking through the woods for isolated natural baths, although those might also be of interest if they are not too long a hike. We are both in good health, but also well into what I refer to as Geezerhood so closer is probably better.

I would appreciate any recommendations.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
may be a bit out of your way but we really like the baths at Glenwood Springs, CO.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
may be a bit out of your way but we really like the baths at Glenwood Springs, CO.

Thank you.

That is not really out of the way because we will be coming back through Colorado and we have no fixed itinerary. And, even if we did not make it someplace as part of this trip we make these mineral water trips frequently and go up to the western part of Colorado to go to Pagosa Springs, so that is a great suggestion.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Closer to home and south of you, try Roper State Park near Safford. If you prefer to eschew egalitarianism, try Essence of Tranquility also in Safford, for a spa experience.

Just north of you is Verde Hot Springs, between Verde and Payson. Several miles of dirt road in -- check weather conditions. The old spa/hotel is abandoned, but the baths and pools are still in good shape. Right on the Verde River, which usually has a good flow.

West of you in Tonopah are the El Dorado Hot Springs. Spa or "self guided".

Or, (can't help myself) wait 'til June and buy a kiddy-pool and two cases of Evian.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchinahand View Post
Closer to home and south of you, try Roper State Park near Safford. If you prefer to eschew egalitarianism, try Essence of Tranquility also in Safford, for a spa experience.

Just north of you is Verde Hot Springs, between Verde and Payson. Several miles of dirt road in -- check weather conditions. The old spa/hotel is abandoned, but the baths and pools are still in good shape. Right on the Verde River, which usually has a good flow.

West of you in Tonopah are the El Dorado Hot Springs. Spa or "self guided".

Or, (can't help myself) wait 'til June and buy a kiddy-pool and two cases of Evian.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Thanks for the information.

Roper Lake was one of our most frequently used State Parks. We used to go perhaps 3 or 4 times a year until a couple of months ago when the pipe carrying the mineral water to the tub broke. The rangers said that the system was old, perhaps 60 years old (if that is old, what am I???) and they were going to fix it. They did, but the water is no longer hot and no one seems to know why. They say that they are still trying to correct the problem, whatever it is.

El Dorado Hot Springs at Tonopah is a gem of a place. The campground is definitely down market, but the water is very nice and the price for dry camping and a couple of soaks is very reasonable. We try to go a couple of times every year but it has now gotten pretty popular and reservations are hard to get. We tried to stop there on the way back from last year's RV show in Quartzsite but there were no openings.

We have not been to Verde Hot Springs but should try to see what is there the next time we are in that area. We generally go through there a couple of times a year on our way to the southern Utah National parks or the Grand Canyon or Sedona, but never stopped. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
water