Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #1
2016 Suncruiser 37F

Maine to Vermont

We are planning a trip in New England next August. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with driving from North Conway, NH area to Vermont over the Crawford Notch on 302 with a Class A, towing a car? Is it suitable or should we find another route?
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Team

We went out of Mt. Washington towards Bar Harbor but I believe we were on 219 not 302 (which looks to go more South). We didn't have much trouble on the route we took with a Class A (F53 chassis) and toad. It looks like 302 might be a straighter road than we were on but I'm not sure I can help too much more with the terrain.
We didn't have any places where we seemed to have any struggles with driving in the mountains. We stopped at Ben and Jerry's in Waterbury, VT. on the way to Mt. Washington so crossed the bulk of the mountains on that leg of the trip. All in All I don't think we really struggled much on that drive at all if that is your concern.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #3
4gone

I have driven it with a 35' class A towing a Suzuki XL-7 with no issues and it was a very scenic ride.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
Veteran & RV Owner

A well maintained road! Should not be a problem for you.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:17 PM   #5
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Stay on the state routes running east and west in New England as the mountain ridges run north and south and you should be okay. There are some very narrow, curvy, bumpy roads out there that may take the pleasure out of a potentially nice drive. Best wishes.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

You shouldn't have any problem. I've traveled the route in a 31 ft Class C (no toad) and have seen many Class A's with toads along the way. Another more direct option is the Kancamagus Highway (Rt 112) from Conway over to Lincoln. Rt 112 continues on Rt 302 south of Bath before it crosses into Vermont. Both routes are well maintained and will have long steep hills requiring lower gears on the downgrades but should be no problem with a well maintained rig. Both will provide gorgeous views as well.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

To 302

This is a good route, well maintained and beautiful. Lots of up and down hills. I would not recommend the more southern Cross over of the Kangamangous highway, that is hairpin turns and very steep.
Latwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
Itasca Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latwig View Post
This is a good route, well maintained and beautiful. Lots of up and down hills. I would not recommend the more southern Cross over of the Kangamangous highway, that is hairpin turns and very steep.
We traveled the Kancamagus Highway last summer in our 24 foot class C and then continued on 112 west where you can pick up 302 again if you want to. I would not consider it a difficult route at all. Nothing in the White Mountains compares to steep and winding roads near the Georgia / North Carolina border.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had to run from Burlington to Conway last year for some repairs to my slide. No toad, but a easy drive. Couple of long hills, but not too steep. It’s a beautiful drive.