Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Key West transportation

I am looking for a decent campground near Key West for next Winter, probably December or January, but wanted to find some place that had public transit to the city of Key West.

I have seen several campgrounds near Key West but don't know if any of them are near public transportation so I thought I should ask. Has anyone stayed there in the Winter? And, if so, how do you get around if you don't tow a car?
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Key West has a good public bus service. There is also a bus that runs from Marathon to Key West, so any campground on Hy 1 between those towns would have a bus stop. We spent seven winters in both Key West and Marathon and rode the bus a lot and it is very easy to get around. I would check online for currant information on the routes and stops. It is Key West transit. It is also very cheap to ride. You can buy daily, weekly and 31 day passes that will allow you to ride anywhere and several times. The bus goes to the shopping areas for groceries and anything needed. We found the buses a good way to see Key West. It was sometimes interesting the areas you would see.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanmark View Post
Key West has a good public bus service. There is also a bus that runs from Marathon to Key West, so any campground on Hy 1 between those towns would have a bus stop. We spent seven winters in both Key West and Marathon and rode the bus a lot and it is very easy to get around. I would check online for currant information on the routes and stops. It is Key West transit. It is also very cheap to ride. You can buy daily, weekly and 31 day passes that will allow you to ride anywhere and several times. The bus goes to the shopping areas for groceries and anything needed. We found the buses a good way to see Key West. It was sometimes interesting the areas you would see.
Thank you for the help. We generally don't tow and I was concerned about getting from the campground to town. Now I will not worry.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:32 AM   #4
Veteran & RV Owner

There are car rental agencies in Marathon (Airport?) and Key West.
armullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 06:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis View Post
There are car rental agencies in Marathon (Airport?) and Key West.
Thanks for letting me know.

I don't know, but Key West does not seem like a good place to rent a car as it does not seem all that large. We would probably use the RV (a Winnebago Fuse) to drive someplace up the Keys so all I was interested in was getting to and back from the city of Key West, and while a rental car would do that it would also leave me looking for parking spaces which I assume would be relatively hard to find.

We do rent cars when we need to get around a large city like San Francisco, but tend to use buses when we get around places like San Antonio. The bus gets us downtown and then we just walk, and I assume that is a good idea for Key West. If not I would appreciate knowing.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The bus is the best to get around Key West. Parking is at a premium, very few spaces with all the people. There is a parking garage that is several blocks from down town. We always enjoyed taking the bus. It allows the driver to look around and see the sights instead of watching out for the traffic and people. Traffic and pedestrens are also bad at times in Key West.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:38 AM   #7
Itasca Owners

We stayed at Boyd's on Stock Island and rode our bicycles everywhere around Key West. An alternative might be to take the toad into town and park it in one of the parking garages. There are bicycle and scooter rentals everywhere as that is the most convenient way to get around KW.
The busses around Key West itself are not bad, but the ones that travel up and down US 1 to other keys only run about once an hour. You will spend more time getting there and back than you do in KW.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:23 PM   #8
Wandering Winnie

If you have not made reservations yet good luck finding any place to stay.
kc8kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Key West Campground

We are staying at Boyd's Key West Campground. The public bus is one block away and runs all day going to various stops in downtown Key West. We have been here for four days and we are leaving on Sunday. Campground is great and the staff is very friendly and ready to serve. We used the bus yesterday to go to Hemingway's house and to dinner in town. Bus is $2.00 full price, but only .50 cents if you are older than 60. This morning we are waiting for an Uber which although pricey works if you really need to be somewhere at a certain time. On Tuesday we rode our ebikes to Key West for the day which worked out as the lower keys our very bike friendly. Good Luck.
millards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 AM   #10
DMA
Winnebago Camper

Boyd's is probably your best bet.
We stayed there and used both public and private transportation.
Tough getting in. Very popular place.
DMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Thank you for the help. We generally don't tow and I was concerned about getting from the campground to town. Now I will not worry.
Just do not ride a bicycle unless you are very, and I mean very skilled. I raced bikes for a number of years and still got hit by a young girl and ended up in the Lower Key West E Unit. The pedestrian, bike motorized bikes, golf carts, cars and electric vehicles are like some fruit in a blender coming at you from all sides.
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

LP Generator

Has anyone installed a larger LP bottle to their LP generator for extended stay. If you did, I could use some information.
sunvale1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Stayed at Sunshine Key RV, in February, very nice 20 miles north of Key West. Took bus into town. Stopped off at mall and inexpensive price landing right downtown. Key West is not RV friendly in downtown area and you pay for parking. Take the bus, your motorcycle or toad. My C650 GT BMW scooter fit nicely in the free scooter parking
clarkwood is offline   Reply With Quote