Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We have returned home after having traveled through ten states in four months. We drove 4,983 miles and averaged 7.2 mpg with our Itasca Horizon with a 400 ISL Cummins engine. We now have 15,500 miles on our coach and the fuel efficiency (if you can call it that) appears to be improving a little (up from 7.0 on previous trips. We drove 65 mpg on the Interstate highways pulling a Honda CRV.

We had a wonderful time since this trip had no agendas or schedules.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have returned home after having traveled through ten states in four months. We drove 4,983 miles and averaged 7.2 mpg with our Itasca Horizon with a 400 ISL Cummins engine. We now have 15,500 miles on our coach and the fuel efficiency (if you can call it that) appears to be improving a little (up from 7.0 on previous trips. We drove 65 mpg on the Interstate highways pulling a Honda CRV.

We had a wonderful time since this trip had no agendas or schedules.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hey Rex - let the good times roll!

We're up to 13 states (soon to be 14 tomorrow) in three months but we did have a schedule for most of that time. Now we take it a few days at a time with no real schedule and it's great.

I have not been keeping up with our mileage but I think we are around 7.2 most of the time. Out west our mileage is real poor since it seems like we are always punching into the west wind (anywhere from 10-40 mph) - I have seen a tank of fuel that I only got about 5 or so mpg out of it

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

John,

Yeah, I have seen a few 5 mpg tanks as well. I just didn't have time to nurse the additional 10 gallons into the tank. However, the next tank had better mileage.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LK23:
......... We drove 65 mpg on the Interstate highways pulling a Honda CRV.

We had a wonderful time since this trip had no agendas or schedules. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No agendas or schedules has got to be a wonderful way to go. I keep telling DW that is how we are going to take a major trip one day.

I think your 65 mpg was wonderful. What was the secret - I'm sure we'd all like to know to get fuel mileage like that?

Don
Old 05-28-2006, 02:35 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dleslie125:
What was the secret - I'm sure we'd all like to know to get fuel mileage like that?
Don </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It must've been ALL downhill driving??

Actually,we've been averaging around 7-7.2 @ 65MPH with the toad.... of course when my foot gets heavy the fuel tank gets lighter!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 05:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Don (dleslie125)
I'm unable to send you a private message. Can you email me with yor email address at [email protected]. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Flyer:
Don (dleslie125)
I'm unable to send you a private message. Can you email me with yor email address at [email protected]. Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just sent. The PM feature was disconnected by mutual agreement by a moderator and myself after an individual who felt I was anti Workhorse started bombarding my mail with very foul language.

If a moderator reads this he might want to reconnect now that more than 12 months have gone by. One of the problems with being disconnected on PMs is that you can't even PM a moderator.

Don

As I noted in my email, we are leaving the hotel in a couple of hours and will be taking the train back from Vancouver to Toronto.

http://www.leslie.family.photos.us.com/c966554.html
Old 05-28-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Don,I'll get it done this afternoon...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
Administrator in Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If a moderator reads this he might want to reconnect now that more than 12 months have gone by. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don,

Reconnected! You should be 'good to go' with PM's; let me know if you have any problems.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Rex & John,

We're leaving in a couple of weeks for about 6 months of that no agenda wandering too. Was wondering if you have a problem getting into campgrounds. Do you make a reservation before you leave your current site or just go without?

We're planning a general northly route to the west, spend lots of time in WA, OR, & CA, and return on a southerly route.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Tom,

I found that most campgrounds had open spaces and didn't need reservations. Keep in mind that we were traveling January thru May. As we approach the summer months I suspect most campgrounds will be busier. Also, we tend to drive in the mornings and check in around 1:00 to 2:00 p.m.
Old 05-29-2006, 05:10 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...Was wondering if you have a problem getting into campgrounds. Do you make a reservation before you leave your current site or just go without?.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom - the only area of the country that I was concerned enough to make reservations and not trust in luck was the Gulf Coast area.

As a rule of thumb, I seriously doubt if you would ever get turned away at the 'typical overnighter' RV park close to the Interstates. We rarely make reservations at these types of parks. Our routine is to have a destination already picked out and then about an hour or two before we are due there we call the park just to be sure they have room. That way I don't get locked into a deposit and giving out the card number over the cell phone.

Popular state parks are most likely to be full on weekends. I would also definitely make reservations at popular 'resort' type RV parks; but even then you might not have a problem.

I'm sitting in the "World's First KOA" (as they advertise) in Billings, Montana on Memorial Day weekend. I made reservations only a day or two ahead of time and even though this is probably the nicest KOA (more resort-like than any of the others I have been in), there are still a bunch of open sites.

Our typical day is similar to Rex - we are underway by 9 am and like to be at our destination by 2 or 3 pm

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys,

That supports what I was thinking. If there's a place we want to get into for sure, I'll make a reservation a few days ahead, otherwise we'll trust our luck.

We also do the 'short' days - 9 to 1 or 2. No more of those 500+ mile days. Sure is nice that there's no longer a need to do those long days. Can't believe how many miles we used to pack into a 2 week vacation!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Tom,

It will get worse. Having been up by 5 or 5.30 every morning, I have finally gotten into this retirement thing and I sleep in to about 7 now.

Thatmeans we geton the road by 9.3 to 10 - drive about 300 miles and shut down around 3 or 4.

Life is good.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:10 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hi All,

Just got back from a 3K mile trip with my 89 year old father. We left Marco Island Florida, headed north,took our time doing a few hundred miles per day and pulling over when and where we were inclined to do so. No schedules just rambling.It was so relaxing for both of us. Weather was great till we hit our destination State, Wisconsin. Then it turned cold and rainy but certainly bearable. The old 2000 BraveSE performed flawlessly averaging 11 miles per gallon at 55 to 65mph. She now has over 110,000 miles and purrs like a kitten till we hit Antigo Wisconsin. I had pulled over at a historical marker to take a walk stretch the legs and get rid of the sleepyness. Beautiful day, sunny and warmish 55 degrees. Spent a half hour walking and returned to get underway heading for Weyowega(sp?). Stuck the key in the ignition and just a click. After trying everything,I knew something was wrong with the starter. Called Good Sam...Hour later a semi-tow truck showed up....1 hour later was hooked up....half hour later a ride showed up for father who was unable to climb into the tow truck...and we were on our way to Wausaw. Northwoods Truck is certified Workhorse shop. Got there at 5:30pm....They diagnosed the problem as a burned up starter, or a stuck starter....Service Manager took us to a restaurant ....we were back on the road at 11:00pm that night. We missed our one stop in Weyowega, but got through Chicago bu 5:50am...Can't say enough good about Good Sam, and Northwoods Truck. THe breakdown went flawlessly. My only cost was $800 for the new starter install amd a U joint which the tow mechanic tore up while disconnecting the shaft. It obiviously needed replacement anyway. We arrived back in Annapolis Maryland (our home base) 2 days later after leisurely stops in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Next trip is IRV2 rally in July. Already looking forward to getting back on the road.
I am beginning to look for another coach but will keep this one indefinitely as it is a great travel coach. A little cramped for long resort stays but great for travel. I think it was one of Winnebago's best engineered coaches with just the right engine / chasis combinations for a travel machine. Too bad they really screwed up on the lamination....Delamination is the only serious problem I have had with the coach.
Junior 913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Junior;
Sorry you were not able to make it to Weyauwega. We had the Red Carpet rolled out for you but **** happens. We will hopefully see you in the Smokey Mountains in July. We are glad to hear you made it home without any more misfortunes.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:23 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We've still been reserving our space. We usually stay at state parks, COE or NFS cgs and we usually see open sites when we get there, but the same sites are rarely open several days in a row. We also see that the largest sites that we fit into are the most likely reserved. We're planning a July-August trip west and have several days unplanned. We'll see how it goes. It's encouraging to hear that you didn't have any problems.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote