Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 01:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

January RVing in Arizona

Hi All, I’m considering staying in Arizona next January for a month in my Winnebago View. Im a solo senior that will be traveling from Colorado to avoid some winter weather. I have no idea where to go or start researching. Maybe Tucson? I’m willing to stay a month in one place or divide it up and move around a little. I love to quilt (sew) so some place with a sewing room and other activities would probably be fun.

Any ideas to share to get me started?
Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Site Team

We leave Texas for Tucson the first week in January every year. It’s fantastic! We stay at the Lazy Days/KOA for the month. Great RV Park, fruit trees between the campsites and lots of activities scheduled daily. It’s not cheap. $1400+ per month. There are cheaper options, but none nicer. And Tucson is a great place.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Southern AZ gets thousands (100,000 or more?) of snowbirds every year. Lots and lots of places to stay.
In addition to Phoenix & Tucson, lots of folks stay in Benson, Congress and Wickenburg. Use Google Maps to see where the cities are located.

A good place to start looking for RV parks is: Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Whereever you decide to go out west for January... make reservations EARLY. Like right now. Pretty much 2/3rds of the country funnels RVers into Arizona from Christmas to Easter.

PS. This applies even to State Parks and reservable Nation Forest Campgrounds.
Old 03-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Site Team

We just booked Dec1-March1 @ Voyager RV Resort in Tucson. This will be a first for us as we live in FL now and have been wondering what it's like out in AZ for the winter.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:54 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
We just booked Dec1-March1 @ Voyager RV Resort in Tucson. This will be a first for us as we live in FL now and have been wondering what it's like out in AZ for the winter.
Not much different than Florida in the winter.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
Not much different than Florida in the winter.
Except for 10% humidity and cooler at night. Plus mountain views everywhere and fewer cars driven by retires doing 50 mph in a 65 mph zone.

ThomB, About the RV park you chose: Voyager RV Resort. We've not stayed there but hear it is full of Park Models, like 2/3rds Park Models. Also, we were told it's just a big parking lot. No trees, etc. I checked out the SAT image of the park it Looks like that is so.

You may be happy with it. Just making sure you know what you're getting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 2.21.56 PM.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	464.0 KB
ID:	171234  
Old 03-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Except for 10% humidity and cooler at night. Plus mountain views everywhere and fewer cars driven by retires doing 50 mph in a 65 mph zone.

ThomB, About the RV park you chose: Voyager RV Resort. We've not stayed there but hear it is full of Park Models, like 2/3rds Park Models. Also, we were told it's just a big parking lot. No trees, etc. I checked out the SAT image of the park it Looks like that is so.

You may be happy with it. Just making sure you know what you're getting.

Yep, we're Thousand Trails members and this is probably one of their nicer parks. We've stayed at a couple out there before but not this one. It's an active park and will give us the access North, East and West that we're looking for while out there. There is a sister park in the Phoenix area (Mesa Spirit) that we did stay in and you're correct they are a bit close but not as close as some parks we've been to. We don't normally set our sights high on the park itself but rather the things to do around it.

This park sold me over a return to Mesa Spirit as that they have a restaurant and bar on site for those nights I want a beer. I don't normally travel with it because of the amount of space and my lack of drinking much anymore.

We're in Orlando now and you're correct on the gray-hairs (q-tips, snowbirds, etc) trying to kill me when I drive to my house in St. Pete. I know the speed limit through Tampa is only 50 but when people are going around you at 75 you're a hazard!!!! (This person decided that they should be in my lane as I approached with my 1 second leeway that I try to leave when driving down here because if you leave any more than that you might as well not be on the road.) I welcome the lower humidity too. I hate the humidity! Why I moved to FL, I don't know.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mesa Spirit in Mesa has a quilting group and many other such activities. Golden Sun in Apache Junction is further out (quieter) and less expensive. There are lots of big parks in the Mesa and AJ areas. Best to move around during first winter so you can see different parks and what they have to offer.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote