Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We just got home from a great 10 day trip to Jekyll Island, GA; Charleston, SC; and Myrtle Beach. We'd never been to Jekyll..the campground on the island was cozy. Lot's of trees. Great beaches on Jekyll and ate some fantastic fresh seafood on St. Simon's.

While in Charleston, we stayed at James Island Park which is a great place. The sites were level, big and every site was separated from the adjacent sites by trees. Downtown Charleston is only about a 15 minute easy drive. For you dog lovers, they have a nice off-leash dog park there.

We finished the trip at Ocean Lakes at Myrtle Beach. The place was about 3/4 full..it is busy but a fun place to be. Great indoor heated pool.

So, a trip with variety which we like. Saw a lot of different rigs and noted one definite trend...I saw more Adventurers (and Suncruisers) than any other brand/model of motorhome.

Great first-of-spring trip for us. Now, back to work .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We just got home from a great 10 day trip to Jekyll Island, GA; Charleston, SC; and Myrtle Beach. We'd never been to Jekyll..the campground on the island was cozy. Lot's of trees. Great beaches on Jekyll and ate some fantastic fresh seafood on St. Simon's.

While in Charleston, we stayed at James Island Park which is a great place. The sites were level, big and every site was separated from the adjacent sites by trees. Downtown Charleston is only about a 15 minute easy drive. For you dog lovers, they have a nice off-leash dog park there.

We finished the trip at Ocean Lakes at Myrtle Beach. The place was about 3/4 full..it is busy but a fun place to be. Great indoor heated pool.

So, a trip with variety which we like. Saw a lot of different rigs and noted one definite trend...I saw more Adventurers (and Suncruisers) than any other brand/model of motorhome.

Great first-of-spring trip for us. Now, back to work .
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I'm so glad you had a nice trip !! Welcome home </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Gary, sounds as if you had a great time...Far enough but not to far for it to be a easy drive.

Funny you should mention the Adventurers and Suncruisers. Been looking at them both since I sold the diesel...Hung up on the workhorse, tho my 99 Adventurer had the Ford...We'll see...You take care and the best to the wife and bear...Work what is work except the yard?
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Glad things went well for you Gary! Charleston is a fun city to visit.

We drive I-10 almost every day running errands and I always take note of motorhomes; the Adventurer is without a doubt one of the most frequent models I see out there.

Jim - glad you got the Horizon sold!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Glad you had a good trip. Still like your new Koni's? Having mine installed on Wednesday. Take care and continued happy travels.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Gary;

I am happy for you having a great trip. I am glad you are home. I have been absent from the Chat Room as we had a city meeting last Tuesday night. I have a Wedding Reception to attend this coming Tuesday night. I may be late but I hope to be there.

I am sure there is good reason we see so many Winnebagos on the road. They just happen to make some of the finest. Of coarse I am biased.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Don:

It's no doubt the Winne's are popular. There were also a number of Journeys, Vectras and a few Horizons. There were three other Journey's within 100 ft of me at Ocean Lakes. Adventurers were just too numerous to count. I also noticed the Winnebagos seem to hold up well...or, the owners of the rigs I saw just keep them nice. Even a few of the older, mid 90's models I saw looked very good.

Bellsharbor:

Yes, I do like the Koni's. I am convinced they make a significant difference in ride quality. Parts of I-95 in SC and GA are brutal and, while the ride was bumpy, the Koni's did a lot to soften the jolts. Also, I drove north from Brunswick, GA to Charleston, SC on 95 this past Sunday in that wind that hit those areas. While the wind did move the coach around at times, I was more than pleased with the handling of the rig. Overall with the g670 tires, the Koni's and a Safe-T-Steer on the front, I think I've got it as good as it will get with the Freightliner....the garbage truck handles pretty well
Old 04-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We spent a week last year on Hunting Island SC and had a great time. Although, I would not advise this campground if you have a big rig and cannot park in the bigger sites. It took us about 30 minutes to go one loop cause we had haripin curves and a long trek to get to campsite.
Great place though. We would like to go to Jekyll Island so we thank you for the feedback on this leg of your trip.
We are at Myrtle Beach Travel Park. We like the fact that only permanent residents are allowed golf carts. Transient sites are not allowed to have golf carts. It is very peaceful here right now. Just a few folks.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote