Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Good Sams road side service

I am in a campground and have a slow leak in one of my tires. will Good Sam come to the park and take the tire off get it repaired and put back on?
Old 04-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikf View Post
I am in a campground and have a slow leak in one of my tires. will Good Sam come to the park and take the tire off get it repaired and put back on?
they did for me. why not call and ask them?

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #3

Quote:
mikf
I believe that if you have Good Sam ERS, (emergency road service), they will send someone to you at no charge.... but you will have to pay for the tire repair.
(However, why not simply call Good Sam and ask).
Mel
'96 Safari, with CoachNet ERS
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies. I will call them tomorrow. I was just wondering what to expect.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

FYI, Good Sam does have a web site and a forum where you can ask these type of questions and get a direct answer from them.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Mel S is right.

The leak could be something as simple as the valve stem being loose. Had a slow leak for weeks, I took it to a tire place, they sprayed the stem where it bolts to the rim with soapy water. Looked like a bubble machine. They tightened it up with a wrench and I was on my way.
jaym368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Good Sam's Roadside Assistance "Policy" will vary with the operator you get on the phone!! Their standard procedure is they will NOT pay for a REPAIR as their lawyers state they will be responsible if the repair fails and someone loses a coach or a life.

We had this issue about a year and a half ago. They would not pay for a repair person to come to our location for a broken valve stem. I had them dispatch someone, then paid for the repair, and filed a complain on their website that night. Within a couple of days a supervisor called me and authorized a reimbursement for the charges.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Here is what their basic roadside assistance states:
Flat Tire Service
A service technician will replace a flat tire
with your inflated spare, or we’ll tow your
vehicle to the nearest professional service
center. On occasion and whenever possible,
we will make arrangements for the member to
purchase a tire(s) for delivery to the disablement scene. In these
cases Good Sam Roadside Assistance will pay for delivery of
tire only, member is responsible for all additional costs including
cost of tire(s), mounting, balancing, other parts or labor, tax and
any other fees. Note: This benefit does not include seasonal tire
changes. Member is responsible for all parts and labor.

Here are all of their policy's Good Sam Roadside Assistance Benefits Brochures

Since you are not disabled, I would check the air pressure and find a place local that will/can fix it, and just go get it repaired.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have to re-up my roadside, and like many other's I'm on the fence between Good Sam and Coachnet. I wonder if they would handle it differently?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Personally I'll stay with CoachNet, those on the edge should check the comments on RV.NET although to do erase them often to get rid of all the complaints. Depending on the day/time there may only be one or two but over time you get a sense of the number out there.
Our first and only trip in the Magna ended like this, but still nothing owed for some 4 hours setup and 40+ miles towed. Also note that the tow truck front wheels are barely on the ground. The driver complained about the wheels coming off the ground on some bumps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_153253.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	90745  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1njin View Post
...I'm on the fence between Good Sam and Coachnet. I wonder if they would handle it differently?
CoachNet sent a guy to my house to repair a flat. My rig was under a shelter and couldn't be moved so the guy jacked it up in situ to replace it. We've had CN for 8 years and have never had a bad experience.
LeeOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
well, I called this morning. they said they would pay the trip charge and I would have to pay for the repair. so a new valve core cost me $90. it was on the inside rear so I could not check it before calling.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had a leaking valve stem replaced a couple of weeks ago for $28.00. I did remove the tire myself and brought it to the tire shop in Flagstaff.
Cspringsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:14 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

It was on a 19.5" gas rv tire. Stopped at Discount Tire, but , but they said I would have to go to a truck tire repair shop
Old 04-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Good Sam Roadside Assistance

I have had GSRA for 10 years now. Used it several times and as stated elsewhere, the wait times were very long. The latest experience left me stranded on the side of the road for 5 days. Yes, 5 days. They told me that, because the weather was bad in part of the Country, they would not look for service providers anywhere in the Country! To top it off, the trailer was broken into and damaged. Their response: "not covered. Read the attached membership brochure." No brochure attached. I'd suggest anything BUT GSRA.
ptwymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspringsrv View Post
It was on a 19.5" gas rv tire. Stopped at Discount Tire, but , but they said I would have to go to a truck tire repair shop
As I remember reading Discount Tire had a worker killed when a truck tire he was working on exploded so they no longer work on them.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I just installed TST and signed up for Coachnet before our last trip. I had towing with our insurance, however I'm sure if I used it they jack up my rates because they can. I figure if I use coach-net, hopefully my insurance company won't find out and mess with my rates.
From my readings, Good Sam seems to lowball the tow truck drivers, so they won't come pick you up unless they have absolutely nothing else to do.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

We broke down on a Sat night, called CoachNet, a while later they called back and said there was no one answering the phones on a Sat night. When the truck arrived on Monday I told him and he said their phones were on all weekend and they hadn't gotten any calls. So I'm betting that CoachNet didn't want to pay the premium for a Sat call out.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:47 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspringsrv View Post
I just installed TST and signed up for Coachnet before our last trip. I had towing with our insurance, however I'm sure if I used it they jack up my rates because they can. I figure if I use coach-net, hopefully my insurance company won't find out and mess with my rates.
From my readings, Good Sam seems to lowball the tow truck drivers, so they won't come pick you up unless they have absolutely nothing else to do.
Cspringsrv
I notice you said you HAD towing with your insurance.
Did you cancel the insurance company towing?
I did and they reduced my rate/bill...(no sense paying twice for the same coverage).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I am with usaa / progressive and they will refund proportion for the towing insurance. Coachnet has a much better option of where you want it towed, and how far they will tow it.

Tags
service