Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

While traveling with the refer on gas, the thing kept blowing out and not relighting. Small alarm sounded to tell us. I have had several RV's and this is the first time the refer quit. I believe air is coming into the burner area and blowing out the flame to the refer. Then the refer will try to relight and it fails to do so. I know this is a warrenty fix (hopefully) and I am looking for advise as to what to say.
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

While traveling with the refer on gas, the thing kept blowing out and not relighting. Small alarm sounded to tell us. I have had several RV's and this is the first time the refer quit. I believe air is coming into the burner area and blowing out the flame to the refer. Then the refer will try to relight and it fails to do so. I know this is a warrenty fix (hopefully) and I am looking for advise as to what to say.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Steve, while your rig is new and this is a long shot, you may have some rust scale from the flue in the burner area that is blocking the flame. I've had that problem on both my rigs and a quick blow with an air gun cured the problem. Have you removed the metal shield to the burner area and checked to see if there is anything obstructing the flame?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

smlragner, thanks for the reply. I pulled the cover and then the metal shield. I saw a small amount of burned up debris that I blew out of the burner area and no other obstructions. I could only see up the tube about an inch, even with a mirror, too tight a fit. I started the burner and I could blow it out with a quick breath and see that it would very quickly relight. While on the road traveling why would the burner not relight like I was seeing sitting still?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Stevegd007,

Since your refrig is part of the slide, could it be a pinched line?

Not the same model but my son bought a Class C with the refrig on the slide and that is what happened to him.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Since your refrig is part of the slide, could it be a pinched line? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what happened to mine, click here to see the thread and the pictures I posted.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn't be pulling things apart on a new rv that had warrenty coverage. The warrenty is for problems the manufacturers created, not for things that they may blame you for after they find out you were taking things apart! Take it to your dealer, tell him exactly what you have told us as far as the fridge doesn't work while traveling down the road and tries to relight but can't, and that the alarm keeps sounding. They will diagnose the problem and fix it.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Easyrider - I wish my dealer had been as efficient and reliable as it sounds like yours is. I've had contact with 3 different Winnebago dealers while my coach was still under warranty and they were all a joke. The only way I ever got any service at all was to drive the 700 miles back to the factory.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I had a new Norcold fridge installed in my 2000 Adventurer a couple of years back and right after installation I was having a similar problem to yours. Turns out the electronic ignitor contact points were spaced to far apart. The distance between the points should be no more than the thickness of a dime. If they are spaced to far apart the electronic arc is to weak to relight the burner. Try bending the points closer to each other.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:54 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I am with Easyrider on your problem. As long as it is under warranty let the dealer take care of it. First it is documented, second if it requires more than a simple fix, and you worked on it yourself, you may have a problem with the warranty. I will be the first to agree a good dealer is hard to find, but tough it out during the warranty.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Dear Mr Steveeg007,

Thank you for telling us what MH you drive and the color of it through your pictures. I will make an extra effort to avoid any type of rig that looks like yours since it may in fact be you. Since you have decided to drive on a public highway with your propane turned on, I do not want to get any where near you. I believe those that drive with their propane systems turned on are very hazardous to all of us.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">NoMoreAZ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then you best just stay in your driveway as I am not the only one that does.

Happy camping in your driveway and enjoy your yard!
Old 08-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I will agree that on a new coach you should be able to get it taken care of under warranty. If you want to try some of your own trouble shooting go to Bryant RV at this site. Scroll down the page and find the make, model of your fridge. You can download the complete service manual there. It may or may not help you determine the problem.

BTW, I run with my fridge running too. I didn't realize we were such a public safety hazard.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

We are at the winnebago factory. I talked to a person that had the same issue. Norcold sent a baffle plate that was attached to the inside of lower plastic panel. The also have a winged flew baffle that can be attached to the upper panel outlet. I can get you a part number on monday if you like.

My fridge is on while driving also. I wonder what the propane operated cars and buses do?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:17 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

NoMoreAZ: Relax, I only know of one motor home driver that will not run his fridge on propane while he is on the road. The rest all do including me. You have far greater hazards threatening you every minute your are on the road. Now in a tunnel, or while refueling, yep turn propane off, but at the tank not at the fridge.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 AM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NoMoreAZ:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drive with my propane turned on....I also drive with an extra propane bottle in my compartments for my grill....I also drive with the front TV on for my family to watch.

I'm an explosion waiting to happen!!!!!!

Now, back to the original question. Steve, we had an 05 Sightseer that that happened to all the time...we had to adjust the flame to hit the little metal rod (not sure what it is called) as the flame was barely hitting it. The flame blew out ALL the time. We also put a "cheap" air filter inside the exterior access door of the fridge to keep the wind from blowing the flame out..seemed to work.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 06:58 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
We are at the winnebago factory. I talked to a person that had the same issue. Norcold sent a baffle plate that was attached to the inside of lower plastic panel. The also have a winged flew baffle that can be attached to the upper panel outlet. I can get you a part number on monday if you like.

My fridge is on while driving also. I wonder what the propane operated cars and buses do?

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, Thanks and yes if you could forward the part numbers that would be great. I also have an appointment with the dealer to work on the refer. Too everyone who supports using the refer while driving thanks .
Old 08-27-2007, 03:19 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Stevegd007, the p/n that is being installed on my frige is a norcold # 629793 winny # 125242-05-733. Gina at the parts counter warned me that there are many different p/n's and one size does not fit all. She reccomended calling norcold or seeing your dealer.

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 PM   #19
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NoMoreAZ:
Dear Mr Steveeg007,

Thank you for telling us what MH you drive and the color of it through your pictures. I will make an extra effort to avoid any type of rig that looks like yours since it may in fact be you. Since you have decided to drive on a public highway with your propane turned on, I do not want to get any where near you. I believe those that drive with their propane systems turned on are very hazardous to all of us. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>