Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Got our first camping trip under our belt and all went well. We seem to have a rattle that sounds off under harsh bump conditions. This AM I went out and started my search and sure enough if I take my fist and hit the right side of the TV frame I can reproduce the rattle. The only way I can see to try to fix it is to pull the TV. Any thoughts on how to pull it. I assume it is in with velcro but there is very little clearance around the perimeter.
Any thoughts?
Frank O.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Got our first camping trip under our belt and all went well. We seem to have a rattle that sounds off under harsh bump conditions. This AM I went out and started my search and sure enough if I take my fist and hit the right side of the TV frame I can reproduce the rattle. The only way I can see to try to fix it is to pull the TV. Any thoughts on how to pull it. I assume it is in with velcro but there is very little clearance around the perimeter.
Any thoughts?
Frank O.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:39 AM   #3

Well...there is no velcro holding your TV down. Ours had a rattle also. and we tighened the hold down bars with a socket...I gauarantee yours isnt tightened enough.

Open your side cabinet doors next to your TV and tighten the strap on each side with a socket wrench.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

FRRVer: Did it wound like a loose pipe rattling? I can get into the left cabinet leasily since there is no Sat receiver but the right of course has the Sony Ent system. Will look tonight and see what i can find. Is it obvious which are the tightening bolts?
Thanks for the help.
Frank O.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I also applied some of the no slip mating around one of our previous TVs - helped to keep the metal on plastic quiet.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
Any thoughts?
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank,

If you look in the cabinets on either side of your TV you may find the screws that hold the front trim panel for the TV in place. Once you remove the trim panel you should be able to see the steel band clamp that holds the TV in place and the clamping bolts on either side. They will be located at the top or bottom of the clamp however on the newer models I believe they are all located on either side near the top. If you pull the set out of the clamp you may find two reinforcements near the back of the clamp that are close and are rubbing or banging against each other.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all theinput, I will try to work on this when I return from trip to San Fran to help my son move. I will report back how I it turns out.
Frank O.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I did look inside the cabinets but can not see either the screws for the front TV trim or the adjustments that FRRVer mentioned. I have pinpointed the source now all I need to do is get to it. If I lightly "pound" the bottom corners of the TV I can reproduce the rattle. Maybe it is inside the TV -- hope not as I think many of you would be trying to fix it also.
Any additional advice? Are there any diagrams from the Winnie site that woul help?
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrankO:
I did look inside the cabinets but can not see either the screws for the front TV trim or the adjustments that FRRVer mentioned. I have pinpointed the source now all I need to do is get to it. If I lightly "pound" the bottom corners of the TV I can reproduce the rattle. Maybe it is inside the TV -- hope not as I think many of you would be trying to fix it also.
Any additional advice? Are there any diagrams from the Winnie site that woul help?
Thanks -- Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a "cutout" inside of the right hand and left hand cabinets with an area for a "socket" (I think 9/16") that tightens down the metal strap that holds the TV. I tightened the strap and no more rattle.

You might want to drop the bottom plastic surround below the TV to see the metal strap. Pull off the little plastic "caps" over the screws and unscrew the whole assembly. This is the tan plastic bottom that covers the whole TV area....
Old 05-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

FRRVer: I think I know the access slot you are talking about. I saw a cutout in the left cabinet that was in the front left side about 3 inches long and abut an inch deep. Does that sound correct? Does the strap go around the sides and bottom near the front of the TV? That is where I am getting the rattle.
BTW -- did you see my question about shower water pressure? You have the same model as I so I would think you would see the same behaviour as I. Have not tried the show with a city connection so my only experience is with the on board pump. Plenty of pressure at the other faucets.
Thanks -- Frank O.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:43 PM   #11

FRRVer: I think I know the access slot you are talking about. I saw a cutout in the left cabinet that was in the front left side about 3 inches long and abut an inch deep. Does that sound correct? Does the strap go around the sides and bottom near the front of the TV? That is where I am getting the rattle.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Bingo! Reach your hand in there and you should find a nut that you can tighten with a socket wrench which pulls the metal strap down on your "carrying handles" on the TV....Tighten each side of the TV. I have no doubt that is the source of the rattle, as ours was doing the same thing.</span>

BTW -- did you see my question about shower water pressure? You have the same model as I so I would think you would see the same behaviour as I. Have not tried the show with a city connection so my only experience is with the on board pump. Plenty of pressure at the other faucets.

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">Yes....We have the same wimpy pressure out of our shower as you described. Our daughter complains about it as my wife and I smile at her and say she has it soooooooooo bad.... Let me know if you come up with a fix or a better solution to the weak pressure. </span>

Thanks -- Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-16-2007, 05:40 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I will followup when I get back to the MH as it is in storage while I am away. Should be a couple of seeks.
Frank O.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #13

I will followup when I get back to the MH as it is in storage while I am away. Should be a couple of seeks.
Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frank, let us know how this turns out.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I faced much the same thing with our '05 Journey. I wrote about the process in this thread. Yours may not be the exact same but I suspect you can benefit from my experience?

Good luck!

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/...791019342#5791019342

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BugSlayer:
I faced much the same thing with our '05 Journey. I wrote about the process in this thread. Yours may not be the exact same but I suspect you can benefit from my experience?

Good luck!

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/...791019342#5791019342 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Russ....I knew I had previously read a procedure on this removal!!! Good post!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

FrontRangeRVer,

Thanks! That was some time ago and the noise was driving DW & I nuts when we would go down the road. Seems as if the fix is still holding up!

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

OK, finally got some time this morning to travel out to where the MH is stored and did some DIYs.
After reading many posts in regard to the TV rattle I found all the screws that secure the TV surround and was able to drop it. It turns out the adjustment bolts were very tight, I was getting the rattle from the TV plastic housing contacting the metal strips on the side. I pushed some padding into the areas and I think it will be ok. If I bang on the front lower corners I no longer get the rattle. Next test will be our next trip.
Thanks for the help -- Frank O.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #18

OK, finally got some time this morning to travel out to where the MH is stored and did some DIYs.
After reading many posts in regard to the TV rattle I found all the screws that secure the TV surround and was able to drop it. It turns out the adjustment bolts were very tight, I was getting the rattle from the TV plastic housing contacting the metal strips on the side. I pushed some padding into the areas and I think it will be ok. If I bang on the front lower corners I no longer get the rattle. Next test will be our next trip.
Thanks for the help -- Frank O. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO! Glad we could help!