Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

just bought 39' destination looking for advice what i might need before heading out.THANKS
Old 09-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

just bought 39' destination looking for advice what i might need before heading out.THANKS
Old 09-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the forum! There is another forum related to the Destination if you are interested: http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2486094452/m/7871052424

My only advice is to search the internet for other peoples experience with how they "stocked" their RV. We took a few short trips at first so we could go to the store or back home if we forgot something we couldn't live without.

Most important (in my humble opinion) is all of your utility hook up items.

Sewer hoses and connectors (I carry 40' of sewer home and assorted fittings)

50 amp to 30 amp adapter

Fresh water hoses (I carry a 10' and a 25')

Gray hose for rinsing black water tank

Take ALL of your manuals!

Good luck

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

wthomas1; thanks for your advice. we are planning on taking position next week and will be shoping for supplies after we get it home.we may spend first weekend in our driveway ha ha
Old 09-13-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We bought our 39W Destination on 9-28 and took possession on 9-31. We left the next day for 3 days. We traded in our 2005 Fleetwood Southwind so we already had all of our supplies. It just took a while to find a place for everything. It all fits, just in different places. We really like the new coach so far.

We leave for a week trip 500 miles away next week. That will be the real test.

Did you buy the 37G or the 39W?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Just reread your first post and it says you bought the 39". I was so excited to see someone else with the Destination I skipped right over it!

Old 09-13-2007, 06:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

the 39' we bought has the 340 cummins in it hopefully this was a good move. considering this is our first rv of any kind, but we are hoping to spend time taking the kids and grandkids on long weekend trips making it truly a family thing.THANKS AGAIN brunter
Old 09-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We bought with the 8.1 Vortec. We take at least one of the grandsons with us in the summer. I love the king size bed.

Enjoy!

Old 09-14-2007, 02:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I assure you that you will probably forget to put something into the coach you may need/want at least the first time out. We forgot cereal bowls for breakfast, sugar, salt and pepper for the shakedown cruise. Make a list and you will correct it.

If you have time, try camping even in your yard the first time and you may fix the little things easily.

Good Luck on your new rig!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DSouthw524:
--snip--
If you have time, try camping even in your yard the first time and you may fix the little things easily.

Good Luck on your new rig! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Priceless advice! You really should spend at least one night in the driveway before heading out, two would be better. Even though we aren't beginners, we spent a night on the coach this May at the property before hitting the road for the summer.

We made sure everything worked, and we had galley things and personal items aboard.

Even though we try to leave everything we need on the coach year-round, we still cart stuff back and forth.

There is another similar thread on this forum that is fairly recent providing many answers to your questions.

Welcome aboard and be sure and let us know how the shakedown trip went!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Fully agree with the driveway "experience." You will find that more than one of us have spent the night (or 2 or 3) in the driveway. Since I was careful that the only thing in the waste tanks while in the driveway was "clean" water as we tried everything else, I even practiced dumping the water from the tanks.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

make sure you bring a pad of paper and something to write with--sounds stupid, but this way if you forget something you can write it down. Plus if something goes wrong you can also write it down

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 12:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via AIM to GerryB54 Send a message via Skype™ to GerryB54
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by brunter:
the 39' we bought has the 340 cummins in it hopefully this was a good move. considering this is our first rv of any kind, but we are hoping to spend time taking the kids and grandkids on long weekend trips making it truly a family thing.THANKS AGAIN brunter </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a bold move buying a 39' DP as your FIRST RV, best of luck with everything...take it slow...
Old 09-15-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Tell the truth its a nuttie move but here we go. THANKS for all the comments
Old 09-16-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Brunter, you did the right thing. Get what you want the FIRST time and avoid the pain of trading up later...

Good Miles and Congratulations
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:25 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

QUOTE:
-------------Even though we try to leave everything we need on the coach year-round, we still cart stuff back and forth.--------------------

John's comment on leaving "stuff" in the coach hit home. I'm sure many people do this, as we do, but it still takes 2-3 days to get things just right for each trip. Our best intentions are to keep it ready to go, but perishables, seasonal clothing, medicines, cell phones, computers, etc all seem to be the cause of many trips back into the house every time. And all this after checking fluids, tire pressure, filling tanks.... But it's all still worthwhile and I wouldn't trade it for any other way to travel.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I read your comments with interest. We have just purchased our first RV a 34RQ gas, not wanting to jump into a larger DP on the first go. We were lucky with this unit; it has always been stored in a heated garage and we are the second owners. We are faced with, how do we stock it and how do we winterize it. etc. I find this form very helpful - thanks to all of you! Our first trip will be in January going south for a month or so.
Dave
Davidej M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, playing catch up here. We just upgraded from Jayco C to Itasca A so I am busy digging thru the forum ( I still go that I got something new feeling ) We did our first big trip, Tampa to Key West and back for 7 days over Christmas. Used the state parks, the RV park at the Naval Air Station in Key West and our 1000 trails membership. Great trip. My big lesson, I should have taking more time. Oh well, gives me something to look forward to this summer.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote