Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">So driving the MH wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. Chad looked like he was having so much fun that I wanted a try. I ended up driving for about 90 miles on this trip...including exiting the highway and pulling into a gas station !! I was so proud, lol. I thought it was good for my girls to show them that there is no reason why a woman can't drive a MH </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">So driving the MH wasn't nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be. Chad looked like he was having so much fun that I wanted a try. I ended up driving for about 90 miles on this trip...including exiting the highway and pulling into a gas station !! I was so proud, lol. I thought it was good for my girls to show them that there is no reason why a woman can't drive a MH </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Good for you! I drive our 39' MH all the time and can't understand why so many women are afraid to drive. For no other reason, they should know how to drive and set up/take down in case of an emergency where their husband can't do it.

Just makes sense to me.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree. Please help me talk Mary Ellen into driving the coach.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have been trying to convince the DW to upgrade to a class A for quite a while now even thou she says she dosn't want me to do all the driving she fears driving a Class A. She handles our Class C great but will not drive if we are towing. So guess I will have to keeping wishing and hoping.
jimo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:18 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jane and I share driving duties and she is even eager to get behind the wheel. We both took Dick Reed's Driving School soon after we got the coach and Jane's confidence grew considerably after two intensive days of the school.

I highly recommend the class for anybody and especially for wives who might need some encouragement to drive. For a description of our driving school experience go to our web site and then go to the RV page.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My wife will drive around the gas pumps and all the traffic in a filling station, but wants nothing to do with the open road. She has driven on the road, so I know she can. Go figure!

03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
Towing 2002 Saturn L100
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:02 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My wife drove the old Adventurer when we were taking her to trade on the DP...no TOAD attached. She did fine.

She is more intimidated by the DP. She moves short distances at fuel stations and when we need to re-position in a campsite but nothing on the road. I'd love to have her take a class but nothing around here. I think it's better for someone other than the spouse to do the training .

John, Dick Reed is in Florida, correct?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 06:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My DW is always asking to drive, but we never seem to get a place were she can get some time behind the wheel.
Recently sitting on a bench at Rally Park in Lazy Days we were amazed at the women driving the larger diesel pushers. They came in parked, got out and went in the office, seems like husbands did not exist. These women were not young either.
I really think it is great, and I will have the DW behind the wheel in the near future.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
My wife drove the old Adventurer when we were taking her to trade on the DP...no TOAD attached. She did fine.

She is more intimidated by the DP. She moves short distances at fuel stations and when we need to re-position in a campsite but nothing on the road. I'd love to have her take a class but nothing around here. I think it's better for someone other than the spouse to do the training .

John, Dick Reed is in Florida, correct? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Gary - Dick Reed holds (or used to) classes in CA, FL and NY depending on the season. According to my bro-in-law who is a new Class A owner, Dick Reed recently sold his school but they are apparently still in business. He has a class scheduled in Ocala in May.

You are 100% right about not trying to teach your spouse - I finally figured that out after a few years of weeded bliss

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:32 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

My 83 year widowed mother drove a 35'er right up to her passing away. Just her and her doberman. We never knew where she was (before cell phones)...not unusual to wake up and find her in the driveway since she got up with the chickens. She's our inspiration for this RV'ing thing. In fact, just a few weeks ago, we were going through old pictures and there she was, about 20 years ago) at a CG in Fla in almost the exact site that we had stayed in last year. I love for Daniele to drive so I can watch the scenery or nap a little.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I WANT to drive our MH. I tried and only got 1 mile. It drives terribly. It so wants to drift to the right among other things. We are going to get some aftermarket stuff put on to improve the driving, just not sure exactly what yet.

The dealer says the alignment is fine and they drove it and said it is fine. If it is fine, than I won't be driving it anytime soon.

dylansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

When we picked up our new MH, we drove it from San Diego to Phoenix... and the handling scared both of us and wore us out. We were all over the road. We followed Driver's advice on the after market modifications and it now handles great. I have driven with a 40mph side wind and barely felt it. The only time I feel passing semis is when it passes the toad, but the MH doesn't waver.

Don't give up, you can do it.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Just want you to tell you DW that driving a Class A is much easier than driving a Class C. 1. you are way up high and can see the whole road, 2. make sure the rig has a backup camera and then there is no trouble driving while towing, 3. driving while towing is no different than driving not towing other than when you pass a car or truck and then with the backup camera you can see when you are beyond the passed vehicle. I only drove the Class C once in a while and I didn't like it at all but love driving the Class A WHEN I am allowed to do so. Happy miles, Mary Lou

1998 Winnebago Chieftain
ChiefQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Well!!! The DW and I went to a RV Show today and we looked at several Class A's and talked to dealer reps. I don't believe it... We are going on Tuesday to look at a couple of Sightseers and some Coachmans on Saturday.Still not to sure on her driving but at least she has come around on Class A issue.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I'm sorry, I know someone is going to catch that. I don't know what made me type in coachmen. My intentions were to say Voyagers on Saturday. Brain doesn't work as good any more.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JudyandJim:
We followed Driver's advice on the after market modifications and it now handles great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would someone be so kind as to direct me to the post or thread that has DriVer's advice????

Thanks!!!

Old 02-23-2007, 03:35 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Try here
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Tom!!