Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

CPAP Camping

Intend to do some dry camping. Long time CPAP user looking for information on how to use CPAP machine with limited or no umbilical power.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Suggest having several large batteries and a way to charge them, and an inverter to change 12v to 120v. Most CPAP's pull about 3 amps to recharge the enclosed battery. It can be done and many do. Have fun camping.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:47 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I see from your profile that you have a 2002 31c. That mean you must have a generator which means you can recharge the internal battery in your TRAVEL model of a CPAP. Try charging it while sitting in your yard at home. My Dad used one and I had to change my modified sine wave inverter to a pure sine wave unit in order for his CPAP to charge from the 12 volt batteries.You can most likely go camping now. If that works later on you can look at larger deep cycle batteries PSW inverter and maybe solar down the road.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

My wife uses a CPAP every night, all night long. She leaves the humidifier reservoir heater off. This way it pulls less than 1amp, total of about 7 AH (amp hours) a night. If she turns on the heater the CPAP pulls about 5 amps (40-45AH a night). Leaving the heater off makes a huge difference.

Her CPAP operates on 12V. Look at the label on the bottom of the CPAP. Most will state it operates on 12V or 24V. Of course the standard plug that comes with it plugs into 120V, but the CPAP itself operates on the 12 or 24V. If 12V you can buy or make an adapter to plug directly into 12V power. I tapped into the reading light at the head of the bed and added a 12V outlet for the CPAP.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I've thought about getting a 12v converter for the my cpap (requires 24v) but my coach batteries were getting bad anyway. I'd have to start the gen around 3-4am to keep my cpap running without drawing the batteries too far down.
I installed two 6v lifeline batteries and I can easily make it through the night with plenty of juice in the batteries.
You could also consider cpap specific battery packs - they are expensive, so I chose to put the money towards good coach batteries that were multi purpose.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You can also buy a small 100 watt inverter which will plug into your RV's 12V outlet and power your CPAP. If you get a 200-300 watt inverter it needs to be attached directly to the battery as the 12V outlet wiring is usually too light weight to handle the higher current.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:12 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your response. I've been looking into a psw for a couple of years now. My problem is the confusion I read about them?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
Thanks for your response. I've been looking into a psw for a couple of years now. My problem is the confusion I read about them?
You shouldn't need a PSW inverter to run your CPAP. If the label show it uses 12V or 24V then the power cord it came with will handle the MSW 120V power and convert the 120V to the 12V or 24V power the CPAP needs.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

How do I find out if my unit came with an inverter and where would it be located? Above circuit board?
Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmedia View Post
How do I find out if my unit came with an inverter and where would it be located? Above circuit board?
Are you asking if your RV came with an inverter? If the picture in your profile is your RV, then the RV probably did not come with an inverter, except for possibly a small one for the TV. Your owners manual should have detailed info.

What year and model RV do you have?
Old 06-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Cpap

I have a 2019 2106fbs. I am assuming there is not a 12v outlet in the camper? How do I tap into the reading light to replace with 12v outlet?
dmoritz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoritz2 View Post
I have a 2019 2106fbs. I am assuming there is not a 12v outlet in the camper? How do I tap into the reading light to replace with 12v outlet?
As long as the light turns on and off with a switch on the light, not a switch on the wall it is pretty easy. If the switch is on the wall, the 12V and ground wires are over there and you only get 12V to the reading light when you turn the wall switch on.

Remove the light fixture from the wall and with a volt meter, make sure you know which lead is the 12V and which is the ground and label the wires + and -. If you have the ground and 12V wires reversed, it may be possible to damage the CPAP. Now remove all 12V power from the RV by removing the RV from shore power, having the generator off, AND the big cable(s) from the negative post of the house batteries. Also double check you have removed the power by testing back at the reading light with your volt meter. Now cut the 12V power wire and the ground wire, strip the insulation back about 1/2" to 3/4", then using wire nuts attach a 12V female outlet to the wires. The 12V outlet is the automotive cigarette lighter type of outlet. On the 12V outlet, ground is on the metal sleeve and the 12V is on the pin down in the center of the female connector. One you have the 12V outlet wired push the wires and wire nuts back in the hole for the reading light, leaving the outlet outside the wall and then put the reading light back on the wall. You may want to trim the hole in the wall a little so as not to pinch the wires to the outlet. I also like to fasten the wires going to the 12V outlet to the wall with cable ties that have a hole in one end to put a screw in to attach to the wall of the RV. Link to cable ties: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BOE0TM...528546818&sr=1

The parts can be found at any automotive parts store, or hardware store. If you don't have a volt meter you can buy the volt meter (actually a multi meter) for around $20 at Walmart, Amazon.com, etc. A multi meter is a very handy thing to have around an RV.

Here are links to meters at Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Multimeter-Ev...lt+meter&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-MSR-...lt+meter&psc=1
Old 06-09-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Cpap

Thank u so much.
dmoritz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:41 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Ditto on the thak you !
Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Y'all are welcome.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #16

Just adding heavier batteries isn’t the answer. Do an energy use survey of all your electric appliances once you determine how you’ll power the CPAP. Then you’ll know exactly what you’ll need without guessing. Recharging can be so easy most days with an adequate solar system.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
My wife uses a CPAP every night, all night long. She leaves the humidifier reservoir heater off. This way it pulls less than 1amp, total of about 7 AH (amp hours) a night. If she turns on the heater the CPAP pulls about 5 amps (40-45AH a night). Leaving the heater off makes a huge difference.

Her CPAP operates on 12V. Look at the label on the bottom of the CPAP. Most will state it operates on 12V or 24V. Of course the standard plug that comes with it plugs into 120V, but the CPAP itself operates on the 12 or 24V. If 12V you can buy or make an adapter to plug directly into 12V power. I tapped into the reading light at the head of the bed and added a 12V outlet for the CPAP.
As a long time CPAP user the above quote is absolutely true. I leave The humidifier full of water but do not turn it on that way you still get a little moisture in the air.
I have 600 W of solar and four Trojan T105 deep cycle batteries. We can stay out dry camping for weeks and not have any shortage of power.. The only reason to start the generator is for air-conditioning when dry camping.
I made my own 12 V DC adapter and also put a 12 V outlet next to the bed. Converting 12 volts to 120 VAC is a waste of valuable battery power as long as your machine runs on 12 volts.
millsrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

We have been on the road for 8 years. My wife has had a CPAP all that time. She needs the evaporator running all the time, which is the maximum power draw.

The first three years was with a large unit, ran it off the inverter during the night, definitely needed to run the generator in the morning. In 2013, she got a much smaller unit, used less power, even running through the inverter, it didn't use much and showed little battery drop in the morning. It had a 12v connector available, I never bothered to order. Should have though, plugging directly into the 12v power of the RV would be the most efficient.

Think about the process, you have great 12v batteries, you take their power through an inverter unit that generates lots of heat through various coils and such to change power to 120v, then that goes through the wiring of the RV, to a power brick for the CPAP that uses coils that reduce the voltage back to 12v. Not the most efficient process.

My wife is due for a new unit this year, I definitely will get the 12v connector this time to plug directly into the 12v power in the RV.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #19

“I have 600 W of solar and four Trojan T105 deep cycle batteries. We can stay out dry camping for weeks and not have any shortage of power.. The only reason to start the generator is for air-conditioning when dry camping.”

I see Millsrv is part of the solar generation!
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:03 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

cpap

https://www.cpapsupplyusa.com/cpap-

accessories/cpap-power-accessories/inverters-adapters.aspx
rvtime2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping