Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We are finally blessed enough that we can take that long trip we have been dreaming about. We'll probably be gone 2 or 3 months altogether. The question is, how long can a stored auto sit in the garage without problems with the battery, tires, etc? We live in Florida and will be going out west and up north. Look forward to hearing from some of you movers and shakers......Bill

2003 Fleetwood Discovery 39s Saturn LS2
Xeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We are finally blessed enough that we can take that long trip we have been dreaming about. We'll probably be gone 2 or 3 months altogether. The question is, how long can a stored auto sit in the garage without problems with the battery, tires, etc? We live in Florida and will be going out west and up north. Look forward to hearing from some of you movers and shakers......Bill

Old 04-06-2005, 04:50 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Hey Bill,

Your car should be fine in the garage for 2-3 months, shouldn't have to do hardly anything to it. Assuming the battery is in good condition, it'll hold a charge for that length of time easily.

I'd suggest washing it real good before leaving so it's not sitting there all dirty and grimy and filling the fuel tank to prevent condensation. Might be a wise invest considering how fast gas is going up; by the time you get back it'll be $3.00 a gallon and you'll have that tank for todays prices of ~$2.30.

We left our car in our garage while we went to Alaska a few years ago, it was sitting for almost 5 months and started up fine when we returned. You might want to check tire pressures after returning in case they lost a few pounds.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

When we go to Florida for the winter we suspend the insurance except for comprensive which covers fire and theft. No problem with battery.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

You'll have no problem with 2-3 month storage.

My in-laws used to head to Florida as Snowbirds for 6 months at a time. Except for topping up the fuel tank before leaving, they didn't do anything and the car would start right up upon their return in the Spring.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:00 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You should not have any problem with a 2 to 3 month storage, BUT just to error on the side of caution I would do the following so it would be ready to run whe you got home.

1. Fill the fuel tank and add fuel stabilizer to minimize any moisture in the fuel problems.

2. Change the oil in the vehicle as one of your last trips to make sure you have clean moisture free oil in the crankcase. Moisture can cause acids and you don't want that laying around fro a couple of months.

3. I would disconnect the battery and coat the terminals with a grease. Some vehicles have a pretty high parasitic load from such items as the radio memory and if you have a door ligh switch stick, you would kill the battery. Easy enough to disconnect it and reconnect it.

4. Top off all fluid levels, transmission fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, washer fluid (antifreeze type if during the winter), engine coolant and finally air up all of the tires.

These are four things that would take no time at all, but would insure a trouble free return.

Ken
Old 04-07-2005, 04:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for your input. As old as I am, i've never left a car for that long. (Not that i'm THAT OLD.) Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:09 AM   #8
Administrator in Memoriam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bflem:
"....suspend the insurance except for comprensive...." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some states may cancel the registration (license plate) if liability insurance is canceled, NC is one of them.

Richard
Old 04-14-2005, 07:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Most newer vehicles have considerable electrical drain when not running. My wife's car will run down the battery in 60 days. It's done it twice, each time with a good battery installed. I now remove the negative battery cable, and have not had another dead battery. Sure, I must reset the radio presets,and clock, but that must be performed after a dead battery anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote