Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Question Campgrounds Yuma, San Diego, Los Angeles near LAX

I am new to this.

Hope to get suggestions for campgrounds for a 10 day trip. 26 ft View

Leaving Tucsonstay in Yuma-San Diego(near ocean)-Los Angeles(near LAX) return to Tucson
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I use Allstays app on my iPhone. To find places to stay... I had tried to find something around LAX there before and it seemed pretty slim. There are the state parks by the beach that can be great this time of year.

https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=862
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

I am looking at Dockweiler State Park as one option
PJTroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJTroyer View Post
Thanks

I am looking at Dockweiler State Park as one option
On Google it looks very nice. Keep us posted!
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

We've had good luck deciding between campgrounds by using the website: Campgrounds Review at Campground Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks
Paul in Medford OR
2002 30' Adventurer
P.Ackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We were natives of S. Calif. We return there at least once a year. Dockweiler is a Los Angeles County RV park--not a state park. It is under the flight path of air planes taking off from LAX--thus very noisy. We have had a number of nights there where people party until the wee hours, and are most inconsiderate of their neighbors. We do not stay there. We ended up buying an RV which would fit in my daughter's driveway because of the lack of facilities in the Los Angeles area.

Golden Shores RV park by the Queen Mary is a nice, but compact park. It is right by the "pike" and Aquarium of the Pacific. Freeways are close, but there can be a lot of truck traffic on the 710 from the container port nearby. There are a few RV parks near Disney Land. Also a few mobile home villages which have a few RV spaces. Make reservations early!
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:58 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

My wife and I have been to Dockweillers and found it nice. We are not partiers and were not bothered by any noise at all. Maybe the previous poster had inconsiderate campers that week but in general, we have found most campers to be pretty considerate. I'm a pilot so I don't consider airplane sounds, noise. We were parked on the far side of the park away from LAX but having said that, at LAX the jets liftoff a mile prior to crossing abeam Dockweiller. With the modern engines these days, I didn't think it was that noisy.
Old 03-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

avoid the LAX area at all costs. The only reasons people drive to El Segundo are:
1: they work at one of the aerospace companies there
2: they are going to LAX

Traffic, noise, etc.

Dockweiler is nice, but if you want one of the sea-side spots you'll need to make reservations quickly. There are RV sites up and down the shore, including one in Huntington Beach, and further south, that would give you much better camping than being near LAX. Be advised these locations tend to be VERY crowded, and pack the Rv's in rather tightly.

Unless you really want to see Los Angeles, I'd suggest going south near San Diego or north near the mountains. There's lots of campsites around there that will let you avoid this sea of humanity.
bigfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Recently stayed at a park just West of Yuma called Pilot Knob RV park. Nice place, clean and only $30 a night. Get gas in Yuma before crossing into Calif, you'll save a gob of money. Also have stayed at Golden Shores in Long Beach. Easy to get to yet not very large so get reservations early. The place is well maintained, they even rake the gravel in front of your RV every morning. Most sites have privacy edges and all are back in sites if I recall. Just tried to make a reservation there for early April and they were booked up.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
Minnie Winnie 26A

San Diego on the beach

Silver Strand SB

North San Diego county has some Oceanfront campsites for RV's, but they are usually reserved most of the time months in advance.

The above link is for one that is on the Silver Strand, Oceanfront. Usually available. You will be 200 yards from San Diego Bay, 50 yards from ocean. Pretty spectacular. Partial hookups. No real amenities, but hey, you are watching the crashing waves. 10 minutes from downtown San Diego. Greatest bike path in county passes through it. (You can circle the bay, about 25 miles, mainly off the streets. (Take the ferry as part of that loop)
GaryKowal1 is offline   Reply With Quote