Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

California coast highway at this time

My wife and I had been thinking about taking a couple of weeks to drive the California Coastal Highway between Los Angeles and San Francisco after Thanksgiving, but the recent fires in and around Los Angeles have made us rethink our plans. I looked at a map of where the Woolsey Fire is, and it seems to be centered right around Los Angeles and I am not sure that the drive through Los Angeles is a good idea at this time.

I am horrified at what the fire is doing to those in the area and fear that any trip through there at this time might just add more of a burden to those trying to combat the fire. In addition I do not know what closures there might be and was wondering if it would be better to delay our trip to some time when the state's resources were not centered on trying to stop a tragedy. We would be driving from southern Arizona, probably on I-10.

Can anyone give me any information on what is happening there now? All I know is what I read in the news and I am not sure how that affects travelers.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

California road info for closures etc... 800-427-7623 I think you should be fine if the automated system has no closures.
Mike Owens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Highway 1 can be especially vulnerable to landslides as well and the most scenic stretches can be the most vulnerable so stay up to date on closures. A section in Big Sur was closed for 14 months:

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...717-story.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california