Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Campgrounds, Travel and Attractions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Has anyone else had the experience of their awning flying open under heavy wind conditions while on
It happened to me and was very scary. 10 27.03%
It has never happened to me. 27 72.97%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

cschmook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Has anyone else had the experience of their awning flying open under heavy wind conditions while on the road? The awning is an A & E two-step awning.
cschmook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #3

We have the new electric A&E Awning...Im not sure if has the wind opening problems of the old AE 8500 model you are talking about.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I wish you would have worded your survey question to include the following: Have you ever personally seen one open on the road on another MH? While I have not had the problem with my Winny MH just two months ago I witnessed not one but two MH awnings in front of me open causing sever damage to both. One was an A&E. The other was brand X. Both owners claim they were locked in place. We were all in high cross winds on I-77 in the Virginia mountains. Neither coach was a Winny for what it is worth. Good question though.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 08:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The problem is with the awning roller. Though the arms are locked up the wind gets under the roller and sails the canvas awning with enough force that the roller spring is overcome. I have had this happen to me and have helped others after they have suffered the same problem. Solution requires locking the roller so that it can not unwind. Other posts have discussed the remedies. I use the awning rod placed into the roller grove and strapped to the side rearward locking arm.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

A&E awnings have a lock to keep the roller from turning. Most don't use it or know it exists. When the lock is engaged you can not pull the awning down. The lock lever is located on the front end of the awning roll. You use your awning rod to engage and disengage the roller lock.

There are 2 styles of locks. The old style consists of 2 cams with knurled teeth. The teeth wear quickly if the lock is not engage. The new style use gear like teeth on the cams and will not wear like the old style. If you have the old style you can older the new style cams and install them in place of the old knurled style.

Read the manual/instrucitons that came with your awning.

The above only applies to a manual operated awning. The electric awnings need no lock.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 05:51 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

After loosing one awning to air unfurling, I also went to the awning rod inserted in the hole in the end cap. The rod then runs down the awning arm and is fixed to the arm anchor on the coach via a spring and a hook. Roller can't unwind, or turn either direction. This has worked for me now for over six years. Can be put on and taken off from the ground. I use electrical ties on the arms themselves as safety measures.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had a similar problem as my awning came off the rail on at least 3 separate occasions when travelling in high wind areas.

The solution was to replace the awning lock mechanism as the old one was made of plastic and the new one is metal. Easy fix and no longer a problem.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Here is a potential solution.

Link to more info --> http://www.rvupgradestore.com/index....ROD&ProdID=174
Old 04-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I use the same one as Warpath.
CalgaryCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 03:30 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CalgaryCowboy:
I use the same one as Warpath. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me Too

Matter of fact in the middle of last season camping, my awning latch completly failed. It wouldn't hold the awning extended or retracted. It was kind of a nuiscence pulling the awning out and just having it roll right back up again. I just used the awning saver to hold my awning in position for a couple weeks untill I replaced the latch.

I'll give it a double
Old 04-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Get some velcro, available at Walmart in 2" wide rolls, cut length sufficient to wrap around the arms. I use a couple on each arm, one mid, one high. Awning has never opened since even in the highest winds.
Gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:49 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Problem isn't in the arms with this, although yes, a loose arm will increase the chance of it. Problem is if the wind gets into the awning and overpowers the current lock. More a issue with a older awning then a new one, although could happen with new.