Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

We just returned from a month visit to Florida. Nedless to say we had a great time and the weather cooperated most of the time.
While staying in Ja-Mar RV Park in Port Richey I decided to see how many Winnebagos were there and what kind. The list following shows that apparently the Adventurer is the most popular.
Braves 2
Chieftains 2
Adventurers 9
Journeys 3
Minnie Winnie 2
There were a few other coaches such as Bounder and Allegros but Winnebago won hands down.
BTW this Campground was very nice and a Passport America Park. We liked it.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

We just returned from a month visit to Florida. Nedless to say we had a great time and the weather cooperated most of the time.
While staying in Ja-Mar RV Park in Port Richey I decided to see how many Winnebagos were there and what kind. The list following shows that apparently the Adventurer is the most popular.
Braves 2
Chieftains 2
Adventurers 9
Journeys 3
Minnie Winnie 2
There were a few other coaches such as Bounder and Allegros but Winnebago won hands down.
BTW this Campground was very nice and a Passport America Park. We liked it.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Did you see Itascas? They are Winnebagos too!

Velvet the Black Cocker Spaniel
RV TO GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #4

We had simular experience in Texas. There were quite a few Winnebago coaches in the two sister parks we visited. I made it a point to find out how they were be accepted. In short there were more dissatisfied customers then those who were. I felt like I walked into a fire storm. That was no place for a Winnebago Consumer Survey Team Member(me)to be, needless to say, I didn't get a chance to survey very many people.

Tomcat F15
Old 03-10-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What is a "Winnebago Consumer Survey Team Member"? What are your duties? It would appear to me based on your posts here, that you might be a bit prejudiced to provide constructive criticism to anyone concerning Winnebago products.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

The park we are in is far from a Winnie landslide. In fact, I doubt if Winnie is first. We have several Newmars, a number of Nationals and several Monaco/HR/Safari units as well as a Foretravel and a Wanderlodge. Some are not in for long stay like we are and at any one time I doubt that we've had more than 5 Winnies/Itascas in total.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

What is it with that tomcat15 guy? I don't believe I've seen one positive comment, other than he positively hates Winnebagos. One should go buy a Fleetwood if he is that unhappy. Of maybe, we should just start a separate thread for Winnie-bashing only?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

minnie26a,
Everyone can find something wrong or something they dislike about their rig, be it a popup or a Prevost, all you have to do is ask the right question. I've owned three truck campers and seven motorhomes and I could find some type of design or qc "problem" with all of them. I would not call myself dissatisfied with any of the rigs, but someone else might. If you're not 100% satisfied does that make you a dissatisfied customer?

Paul
ppeter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 AM   #9

I can only be positive when things are positive.

Since last September when we headed for Harrisburg PA RV Show, which was our first trip out since the 2004 Grand National Rally and when we had service work done there, every day since has been a challange.I found broken and missing bolts that secure the generator, as well as a defective generator craddle assembly.
We had the 3rd winterizer valve fail and flood the electrical bay, we had fire and smoke damage inside the coach after two wrongly placed sheet metals screws holding the wood plateform behind the transfer switch, fell out of the exhaust muffler and torched the electrical compartment, we had the 4th winterizer valve fail and flood the electrical compartment again, the Freedom 1500 Inverter/Charger went up in smoke one night in Port Aransas Texas when the power went out on the Island. We've had drawer slide brackets break, we got screwed by a dealer in LaFeria Texas when we finely got the replacement Inverter/Charger and needed it installed(these guys are real crooks, and where has Winnebago been throught all of this? Not where we would have expected! This makes for a very negative experience that hasn't gotten any better.

Up until September 2004 we were highly motivated Winnebago coach owners and even took an appointment to be Consumer Survey Team Members. After experiencing all the problems we've had, which we might add, are all the result of Winnebago Quality Control, engineering and customer service. We have been grossley inconvenienced, we have been deceived and lied too, we been excessively over charged and underly compensated.

So you ask, why is this guy so negative???

The only shinning light in this, is the FreightLiner Chassis with a 330 CAT engine and how well it works and handles.

Tomcat F15
Old 03-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

1292 posts since December 02......that averages 48 posts per month. Seems like a lot to talk about.

My experience with Winnebago spans 3 different coaches. Sure, there are problems, as with all mass produced equipment. In 35 years in aerospace with stringent FAA requirements and inspections, we still experienced failures. Stuff breaks! In my opinion, Winnebago is a responsible company.
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:19 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I do apologize to getting off topic before and I do sympathize w/ tomcat's troubles. I hope it all works out for the best. Having said that, we will be taking delivery of our 2005 Minnie next weekend (of course, I will do a thourough PDI), and we're very excited about joining our fellow Winnie / Itasca owners in the campgrounds!
Old 03-12-2005, 01:46 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I have been following Tom Cat's postings for a long time. He has always been a guy who says what he thinks and seems to know his way around M/H's. He has contributed a wealth of knowledge about the QC problems he has encountered. I remember when he was a cheer leader for WIT. I have experienced his QC problems with my Itasca, it never ends. I have had to nearly rebuild it since new. Some of us talk about these things, some of us don't. I certainly respect his right to air his gripes, it also makes me realize I am not the only one with QC problems. Now Ford did it right the first time, not a single problem so far. This is my third M/H and by far the worst from a QC stand point. Probably will not do the WIT thing again.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:02 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I second that. I have the same model coach as Tomcat. If it wasn't for his "negative" posts, I probably wouldn't have found the same problems on mine until it was too late. I for one can understand his frustrations. Keep it up TC. Post away.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 03:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Each of the forum members have a right to post what they feel is important to them. Each of us have our highs and lows in dealing with our Moho's and post what we are feeling.
Tomcat has always been to the point and very helpful to the new members.
If in fact Winnie does read this forum what better way to let them know about the problems with our coaches and the treatment we receive when we call.
Thank goodness my problems have been resolved in a business like manner and I hope I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
Good Miles,
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:57 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

As RV owners we all have had problems with our units. I am extremely satisfied with my 1999 Adventurer. The Winnie owners I have spoke with seem to like theirs too. I have found there will be a bad apple in a barrel occasionally.
Would I buy another Winnebago product, you bet I would.
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

This forum is sponsored by Winnebago but they DO NOT monitir it at all. It was nice to see Alfa respond to a person who had a bad test drive and follow up with them. I feel Wine a bag oh could really give two toots. Because no matter what folks say or feel they still buy the product. The only time they feel it is when the Coaches are on the lot for a while. I don't think I would buy another, but who knows? Newmar, Monaco or Alfa?? It won't be for a while yet but I keep looking and asking questions...
Have good miles and enjoy life, don't sweat the small stuff! LOL
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

That's what Fleetwood thought. Now they're in deep doo doo.
3huskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 05:16 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for all the varied responses however I was just curious how many Winnebagos were at any one campground at a time. The input was great.
I do realize that a lot of us have problems with Winnebago coaches and a lot of us don't. I have had my fair share and still have some however I am happy with the unit as a whole and really that is all you can ask for. After all it is like driving your house down the road. Usually after I get the warrantry things fixed the coach is fine if you maintain it properly which I try to do. It isn't everyday that one spends this amount of cash only to have big problems. I spoke with a gentleman who had an Allegro Bay,2005 and the Microwave has been changed five times. After hearing that I feel lucky.

Again thanks for all your responses and enjoy your RV whatever Winebago you have and above all take time to smell the roses.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:22 PM   #19
TJM
Winnebago Camper

We got a new Itasca Sunrise 36M in Jan. 04. (NOT the ideal time to pick up a new motorhome in Iowa.) Have had what I feel is a normal amount of little new coach problems. The thing that concerns me is the number of 'safety recalls' we were notified about this winter -- 3. Problems with this coach have been minor though, compared to the Holiday Rambler Ambassador 36PBD we traded in on it. I can empathize with Tomcat's problems because of that HR. For 2 years we had it in the shop more days than we were able to camp in it -- 2 times having it broken into & things stolen. We never had a single trip that something didn't go wrong. The final straw was when the front brakes froze up & had to be replaced while we were on vacation in Colorado. We took a beating by trading in a 2 year old diesel to go back to a gasser; but our Itasca has been a dream compared to a nightmare.
TJM is offline   Reply With Quote