Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

10 year RV age limit in park?

I've recently heard that some RV parks (commercial, I assume) limit RVs to a 10 year age limit. Is this common? Which RV park travel guides show this?
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
no.
none that i know of.

while i'm sure they are out there in 32-years of RV travel we have yet to encounter a park with this rule.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #3
Site Team

Actually, there are a number of RV parks, mostly resorts that have 10-year rules. Some are flexible and will make exceptions, others ask the age of you RV at reservation and reject all such reservations. Similarly, there are Class A only RV parks as well.

We’re headed to an RV Park in May that is strictly 55+ only AND no smoking anywhere in the park. Not in your RV and nowhere outside.

I don’t know of any guides that list all of these restrictions. You have to check the website or call the RV Park.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 AM   #4

This is quite common here in Florida where RV Resorts are trying to keep their park from looking like an old trailer park. They want to keep attractive looking parks that others would want to visit.
ddaudelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:18 AM   #5
Veteran RV Owner

You would think that these restrictive RV parks would just say "subject to inspection at anytime". Then, if your coach is 10+ years old, but is well maintained, it passes inspection.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage. My Rv is now 19 years old and I have had two parks so far ask for photos. When I purchased our RV at the end of 2016 our fist RV park was close to the house at Lake Mead RV village. I was told they needed to see the RV before they can take a reservation. We were able to stay after they saw our RV. We now boondock partially for this reason. 2019 has been a year for us to try RV parks again. We have stayed at two more parks in Arizona now that did not have RV restrictions. I felt comfortable at these parks. I have to travel to Long Beach this summer for a work conference and I have made a reservation at a park in Long Beach for this conference. I had to send photos before they would take my reservation. Now I am frightened that when I get to the park this summer they will take a look at the RV and ask me to leave. If this happens I will leave a wonderful review on their site and Yelp.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

looks ARE EVERYTHING. If yours is faded glory, that is not what they want to see. Pealing decals, dents/scratches/ rough looking toad, are what they don't want.

IF yours is shiny and looks great, they won't care if you tell them that your coach is 9 years old (going on 25).
Old 04-17-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
2002 Journey WPK36GD

10 year age

Ha, you have hit upon my pet peeve! We have a Journey in the 2002 vintage and it is immaculate but we have to do this, especially in Florida, often. So I just took a bunch of views that are time stamped and send these each season when asked. I have NEVER been refused at any RV Park, even the $1500/mo places, but perhaps segregated from the new top brands, so I do not worry about it since I won't pay $1500 for a month anywhere.

Look into the clubs for some intellectual stimulation and reasonable prices: Elks, Moose, Escapees, Passport America (et.al.) and county parks. Have you seen those guys with the big great tanks on wheels? Well, that gives us a full week at a site so we can boondock for 7 days no-problem. End of rant but I have a lot more ammo.
CharlesMoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have seen that requirement in some workcamper ads (why many ask for a photo of you and your rig), and in a few long-term lease parks. For most overnight stays, they just ask us size and model.

All of our rigs have been older models (we don't buy new), but extremely well maintained. Particularly with our motorhomes, people have asked us the age and are amazed when we tell them. That is one thing I like about Winnebago; they are classic!

As snooty as it sounds, the rules are really no different than trying to keep your neighborhood looking respectable. You don't want junk cars sitting in folks' backyards, or sofas with the springs poking out sitting on the front porch because it affects the resale value of your house, and because you take pride in your home and its surroundings. Same with campgrounds -- junky RVs affect business and livelihood.

At our last workcamping gig, we pulled in and saw a conversion that was, to put it politely, "beyond description." As it turned out, the resident was a very nice young veteran who couldn't afford the housing costs in the area, but needed to be near medical facilities and had to pinch pennies. He simply rotated around the state workcamping in exchange for site. Free rent, wifi, utilities. Can't blame him. However, the workcampers were in a separate area away from the paying guests. I doubt they would have allowed the rig to park in the campground proper!
bwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:19 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yes I have seen it too and the numbers are increasing. They are usually the premium resorts trying to justify the high price of admission. They really do not want someone coming in breaking down on the site with a derelict rig that will need major repairs to get it off their property or towing. Its like the guy with the old boat barely afloat that Marina Owners don't want to chance having sink at their dock.

I stayed at one of the places that could qualify as the poster child justifying this where there were decrepit rigs with parts hanging on with duct tape, engines out on the picnic tables, flat tires strewn about, rear frames collapsed so that the back of the coaches were supported by landscape timbers, black mold stains, etc, etc, etc. Looked more like a wrecking yard. A lot of course language was being used, fights breaking out with some people openly carrying fire arms though it was not a hunting camp or really in an woodland area where game would be present.

I pulled in at night and had quite an eye opener when day broke the next morning. Thankfully I was already payed up for just the overnight stay and was on my way driving out. In the morning light the entrance looked like a wood print from Durant's book Hell Up To Date depicting the scene where Durant fell of a train and found the entrance to retrace Dante's visit to the Inferno.

Can't remember the name of the place or location only that it was in New York State.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a beautiful 2003 adventurer, I think age restrictions are wrong.
I've seen new rigs that look terrible.
James Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have "been on the road" most of my adult life. Here in Biloxi, MS there is one 10 year park but the others are no restrictions. I did run into a couple in south Florida and one in Arizona outside of Tucson. Overall the RV industry doesn't condon these restrictions but like most of us, I am older than dirt and try and find a comfortable place to camp and meet new friends on every stay. This summer we are heading to Tonopah, Nevada. They have 3 nice parks. Fair winds and following seas to you all.
losone is offline   Reply With Quote